Asus ux301L has a strange screen glitch (Windows 8)

Simonshout

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014
Portions of my laptop screen and active windows will flicker and glitch.

Depending on what color wallpaper I am using different areas of my screen will have "zones" where I move windows into that will start this flickering the toolbar and the current active window.

In the video below the current background is very dark. The effected zone is the left boundary.
When I change my wallpaper to something with more color the top left portion of my screen is effected.

Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjwxc34w1dk&feature=youtu.be

Is your laptop currently under warranty? If it is, I'll suggest contacting Asus about RMA. If your warranty period has expired here's what's likely going on... somewhere power to the LCD is being lost (not complete but some power loss, may be less than 1v lost), it could be due to a pinched cable, a loose connection, or something else even. I'm going to suggest connecting to an external monitor to see if the flickering occurs there also (I'm betting it doesn't) also try the screen at different angles, if a cable issue or connection, that may offer a temporary cure.

Simonshout

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

I almost want to say it's not a hardware problem because it's only windows resources that flicker. ie: toolbar. The wallpaper area stays fine. It's not the entire screen, if that makes sense.

itwasburke

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015

Hi Simonshout. Did you ever find out what the problem was? I have the exact same issue, and asus won't cover it as it is only appearing on some applications..

many thanks
Burke

Simonshout

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

Burke,

It was definitely not hardware. It has to do with asus' extra resolution that just doesn't agree with windows. A walpaper with less contrast helps. In the end a reboot of the os fixed the problem temporarily. Windows just does not consider an aesthetic problem like this a high priority.

itwasburke

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
Hi again

Thanks a mxillion. When you say a reboot of windows I suspect you mean a clean install of windows? A simple reboot doesn't do the trick. I have applied a standard windows background and that helped a bit though. But I will reinstall windows to check if that eliminates the problem completely. Thanks again!!!

Burke

Simonshout

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

Burke,

Yes I meant a reboot as in a clean reinstall. But again that's only temporary; this problem will come back. My asus is now collecting dust. I've been a windows user all my life but I recently bought a macbook pro. As a software developer, it seemed like the better choice these days. To be honest I don't think I'll ever go back to windows.