Asus ux31 "Plugged in, not charging"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

claec

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
My Asus ux31 ultrabook suddenly decided to stop charging this afternoon. The charger has a steady green light, and the windows status is "Plugged in, not charging". I've restarted, tried different sockets, etc. No change. Any suggestions?

Solution
"Plugged in, not charging"

Not necessarily a fault or error. When the battery is fully charged (100%) the charging circuit is automatically disconnected until the battery falls below 100% again. This prevents the battery being overcharged.

That's the same message I see on my laptop when the battery is fully charged when I mouse-over the battery icon.

Paharohto

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015

Hi! My problems started as I upgraded to Win10. Just send my Zenbook ux32ln second time to service...

I think it has something to do with sleep mode. Both times I left my device alone to get some coffee. When I got back it was completely dead. It did not start up and did not start to charge. Even the led indicators wont turn on.

When using win8.1 I didnt have any problems. When I get my device back from service I will prevent it from going to sleep mode or switch back to win8.

Stanley_1

Estimable
Jan 1, 2016

[/quotemsg]

PLEASE TAKE NOTE;

My problem arose when I converted to the freebie of Win 10....
Did not have to go into Bios; all I had to do was go into "Advance" on power settings;
and then I did change the status of to "disable"...
Instantaneously (upon hitting approve of the setting change) - status changed to
"Plugged in - charging".
Thanks MUCH - for putting me on the correct pathway!

Zane__

Honorable
Jan 10, 2016
ASUS Support got me to presspower button, HOLD IN and repeatedly press "F2" many times then restart worked like a charm for my T100TAF Transformer, also you can call ASUS support even out of warrenty 877-339-2787

Zane__

Honorable
Jan 10, 2016
ASUS Support got me to presspower button, HOLD IN and repeatedly press "F2" many times then restart worked like a charm for my T100TAF Transformer, also you can call ASUS support even out of warrenty 877-339-2787

Olowosule

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016
Please my battery is on 97% and it is saying plugged in not charging what do i do?

Zane__

Honorable
Jan 10, 2016

Zane__

Honorable
Jan 10, 2016
Z here again,
Read how I solved the 97% Plugged in not charging" one or two posts ago. You can also call ASUS Customer Support, give them your serial number, they check it. then you get their help as LONG as you want it, even after a year!
Windows 10 horror stories??? I've read and heard a lot of them. Even with computers that have lots of RAM. Three negative remarks on this page including myself. Chuck win 10 in the trash as fast as you can. It's loaded with bloatware. Just wait until it automatically forces updates on you that you can't control! Windows 10 messed up one of my laptops, thankfully I got Geek Squad to fix it with my 3 computer Tech Support that I have with them. You have 30 days to uninstall windows 10. microsoft has done away with you being able to choose update options. They are now Forced on you. Some of the so called "security updates" do not have anything to do with security, instead they do things like Kill microsoft office starter if you had it. Best Buy had it in the computers they sold and when I updated, POW, no more office. That was the last straw for me, I bought Office Starter, included with my computer at Best Buy, then microsoft's updates killed it with a sneaky "security update". I thought it was mine because I paid for it. I realize they did it so it wouldn't be free anymore, but the way I see it, that's stealing! So instead, I just use OpenOffice and LibreOffice now. They're free, and as far as I'm concerned, just as good as microsoft Office. They'll also open up all of microsoft's old office files! I bought a new ASUS Transformer that came with microsoft office for a year free and uninstalled it. Soon perhaps, I'll get rid of everything microsoft and get a Macintosh. Of course, Linux, Ubuntu or some other free operating system would be a good idea installed in a computer that has had windows uninstalled out of it. (For those of you who still like microsoft, that's great, they're just not getting my money anymore) I think if enough people would say "we've had enough of microsoft doing these things" the company would start to tailor their software to suit the consumer (us) instead of them, or at least let the consumer modify windows 10, deleting completely, the things we don't want, like cortana, and other bloatware. Then let us control updates like before. My updates stay turned off until I go through each individual one, find out what they are, not trusting them just because microsoft says they are "Important" or "Security"
Some other microsoft sneaky "security updates" are:
KB3035583, KB2952664, and KB3021917 for windows 7
AND:
KB3035583 and KB2976978 for windows 8
THESE KB's are the windows 10 files they load on your computer disguised as "security updates" that put the little windows 10 icon on your taskbar. Some people want it some don't. I don't.
There is a "GWX Control Panel" you can download that gets rid of the Windows 10 "KB's". It's safe, I did it. Once you get rid of the pesky icon, and want to keep it off, do manual updating and check each individual one and find out what it is first before installing it. Next time I manually update, it's going to be interesting to see how many more of those so called "Important" "security updates" don't have anything to do with making our computers happy!

Martin_43

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016

PLEASE TAKE NOTE;

My problem arose when I converted to the freebie of Win 10....
Did not have to go into Bios; all I had to do was go into "Advance" on power settings;
and then I did change the status of to "disable"...
Instantaneously (upon hitting approve of the setting change) - status changed to
"Plugged in - charging".
Thanks MUCH - for putting me on the correct pathway!

[/quotemsg]

Hi Stanley - you posted "Did not have to go into Bios; all I had to do was go into "Advance" on power settings;
and then I did change the status of to "disable"..."

What was it that you changed the status of to "disable"??