Solved! Asus UX32LA Auto Turn Off (on battery and plugged in)

drownedbliss

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
Hi there,

My Asus UX32LA has this strange habit (?) of the screen blacking out randomly/shutting down, regardless of whether it is plugged in or on battery. The power button doesn't seem to work when the screen shuts off either.
HOWEVER, when I close the lid (partially or fully), the screen lights up again and functions as per usual. (I know this because there was once I was watching a video when it happened and the video continued playing when I closed the lid)

I've check the ACPI Lid settings but it seems to be working fine?

Can someone help please!!!

Solution
Actually something being loose can still happen even if it seems to work well some of the time. However I would not open up the device unless it is out of warranty. Doing so would void it.

It is possible that the ribbon cable that connects the display is being effected.
Have you checked the power options?

1. Go to "Control Panel" and click "Power Options".
2. click "Change plan settings" next to the plan you are currently using and then click "Change advanced power settings".
3. In this new window go through each of the areas to make sure nothing is set up to make the display sleep or shut off. I would check all options, as it can be other things that are the cause.
4. Once you have made all needed changes, click "Apply" and then click "OK".
5. You can then close out of both windows.
6. You may also want to check your systems "Screensaver" settings as well.

drownedbliss

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

Hmm, I've tried that too but it doesn't seem to work. I don't think it's a power thing because when it happens the power button doesn't work unless the lid is partially closed at a specific angle? Someone told me it may be a lose connection but i don't think it is either as the functions of the lid open/close are reversed? I don't know if I make very much sense here though? Don't really know how to explain it

Actually something being loose can still happen even if it seems to work well some of the time. However I would not open up the device unless it is out of warranty. Doing so would void it.

It is possible that the ribbon cable that connects the display is being effected.

Solution

drownedbliss

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

Hmm, in that case, is there anything I can do on my side to fix it (without sending it for repairs)?