Solved! Asus UX430UA battery drain in sleep mode

Nov 18, 2018
My brand new Asus UX430UA laptop completely drains in sleep mode overnight. When I've read answers to similar questions about other models, people say to check for what's running in the background. Can someone explain how I would check that? Also, I can't imagine what could possibly be running in the background on a brand new computer. Any advice? Thank you!

Solution
You would be surprised what could be running the background.

You need to go to "Start" and then in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quote marks). Next click on the "Startup" tab and see what is listed as running. Do not uncheck anything there that you don't know what it is before doing some research online. Doing so could cause you way more problems. Once you have unchecked what you want/can, then reboot. Once you have done what you want and put the laptop to sleep again, see how long the battery lasts.

Also, make sure the display is turning off when you put it to sleep and close it. If the display stays on (which can happen) then it will drain the battery faster.

Lastly, you may want to check the power settings for when...
You would be surprised what could be running the background.

You need to go to "Start" and then in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quote marks). Next click on the "Startup" tab and see what is listed as running. Do not uncheck anything there that you don't know what it is before doing some research online. Doing so could cause you way more problems. Once you have unchecked what you want/can, then reboot. Once you have done what you want and put the laptop to sleep again, see how long the battery lasts.

Also, make sure the display is turning off when you put it to sleep and close it. If the display stays on (which can happen) then it will drain the battery faster.

Lastly, you may want to check the power settings for when sleeping. Go into "Control Panel" and then "Power Options". Click on "Change plan settings" next to whatever plan you are using and then on the next screen click "Change advanced power settings". Go through the list and make sure that all options are set to do what you want, and to use less power, when sleeping.

Solution
Nov 18, 2018

Wow...this is an incredibly robust and thorough message. Thank you so much! I am going to take it to the local store where I purchased it, and I will show them this message. I wouldn't trust myself to uncheck anything, even with looking it up.

I did go into the control panel and I activated the hibernate setting, which wasn't in my list of shut-down options. In fact, I set almost everything to hibernate as opposed to sleep. Thank you so much for this great answer!