ASUS UX501J Powering up in sleep mode, with the screen closed.

Key-00

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015
Hello. I seem to be having an opposite problem from most ASUS users here.
Instead of my computer not turning on, my computer loves to turn on all by itself, even when it's closed.
I haven't been able to catch the moment when it does this, if it does it after x amount of time, but I have gone through settings after settings to find the thing that triggered it's wake up.
I have checked the power options in System and Security and the Power Management in Device Manager and nothing has permission to turn the power on.
I will have to double check the cmd for what it says turns it on last (probably tonight since it's a constant thing now) but last time it said that it was the power button that did it, though the button in on the keyboard and the laptop was closed, no obstructions to cause it to be pressed.

I'm worried since it gets SUPER hot in the case when it's on, I don't want the heat to fry this awesome laptop. Also, to make matters worse, I'm heading out of town this weekend. I don't want it to be turning on unexpectedly during travel.

Any thoughts?

Will post back with cmd results after next occurrence.

Hi,

If it's waking up itself from sleep mode then the place to check is in Device Manager. Check whether your wireless adapter is waking up your laptop. Right click on your wireless adapter then select Properties. Go to Power Management tab and remove the check on Allow this device to wake the computer. Check other devices that could possibly wake it up itself. Just leave your mouse and keyboard to wake it up.

Key-00

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015
Thanks for the response Laptop_Nerd. That was one of the first things I checked (and i double check right now) and it was not the cause. I can now officially say I have been through every device on my computer via device manager, but nothing has an allowance to wake the computer.
Should be able to cmd later and see if I get a result on who the culprit is, hopefully.

Key-00

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015

Hi Chris. I have yet to find a solution other than making it a glorified desktop. I have it plugged in most of the time and when I travel I shut it completely down. It's pretty annoying.

chrismclean

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
got it... Thanks, i have just gone through and turned all the power to hibernate and off as well. As long as there is no blinking blue light on the front, it doesn't seem to wake up! Thankfully it starts up very fast. Cheers, Chris.