speedj2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
is it normal for an Asus Vivobook 11.6" x202e with an i3-3217u processor (1.8ghz) to have idle temperatures in the mid 60s celsius? i got this thing mainly for school use, but i was also hoping to play some lower end games as well (like starcraft or civ) but under load the temp jumps into the mid 80s and the processor downclocks to 1Ghz :(. and 60s is just with it idle. doing pretty much anything with it sends it into the 70s.
seems like just about anything that uses more than 50% load on the processor causes the temps to get too high and then i only have a 1ghz processor.
has anyone else with this notebook gotten better temperatures?
its brand new, im trying to decide if its a bad one and i should just replace it and hope for better. or if its just really bad design and i should just get a refund.

Solution: for the reference of those who may stumble across this thread with the same issue, 65C idle temp for the x202e is too high. get it replaced.
there are a lot of reviews online saying that this laptop runs hot. and it certainly does. however, 65 seemed a bit unreasonable to me, so I was hoping to get clarification. anyway, after replacing (again) my new one runs in the upper 40s - low 50s Celsius when idle in a room kept at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. its still hot, and when pushed, still jumps up into the 80s, and still has throttling issues sometimes, but its not nearly as bad.

Solution
It's possible that the CPU cooler was not fitted correctly, or the that the underpaid factory workers that made it screwed up the thermal paste. I would get a new one before the warranty wears out.

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012
It's possible that the CPU cooler was not fitted correctly, or the that the underpaid factory workers that made it screwed up the thermal paste. I would get a new one before the warranty wears out.

Solution

speedj2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
can anyone who has this notebook confirm that they've gotten better temperatures with it?
ive seen several people online complain about the heat but haven't found any actual owners to confirm that it can actually run as it should. its just ive already done one rma for a different issue but I never checked the previous one to see if it had heat problems as well.

speedj2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008

wait! so your saying that its normal for a laptop to run so hot that the processor is throttled and that its impossible to get the full performance out of a laptops processor? o_0
sorry, but I don't know if I buy that.
also ive had laptops before and ive never seen temps like these before, especially not when sitting idle on the desktop.
but... on the other hand, I fear you may be right, given a few other reviews ive seen online, and given the processor is rated for a max temp of 105C. generally there were a lot more satisfied reviews out there for this laptop but none of them mentioned temperature. this is why I brought the issue to forum to see if anyone could verify otherwise, and since this would be my second exchange if I do exchange it(my first one had a bad hard drive so I don't know what its temps were). so I was wondering if anyone who actually owned this laptop was able to get it to run cooler so I could actually know if its bad or just badly designed. if it supposed to be this hot then it should be able to perform at these temps and the extreme throttling is totally unacceptable.
that said, I chatted with someone from asus support and they suggested I send it in for service, so I guess ill just be asking for another exchange from the retailer instead

Hi :)

PLEASE do NOT MISQUOTE what I said.... I said NOTHING about throttling...

You don't want my advice fine.... and if you really think an Asus tech knows more than me (look at my sig) then you go ahead with whatever you wish to...

All the best Brett :)

speedj2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008

my apologies. I did not intend it as a quote I was asking for clarification. im sure you would not have commented without first reading my original post and understanding the issue at hand. so I hope you can understand how I might have mistaken the statement, "a little high in temperature, but nothing unusual for a lappy" to be referring to both the high temps as well as the throttling that goes right along with them, as I described in my original post.
also I do now see your sig, again I apologize for offending such an obvious expert on the asus vivobook line of laptops. it is my mistake. clearly I am not understanding as I don't see what good it would do to use compressed air on a brand new, fresh out of the box laptop. im very sorry.

speedj2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008

thank you for replying. yes at this point I am thinking that this may be the case. ive begun the exchange process and will hopefully have a properly functioning version in a few days. if it doesn't work this time, i give up. unfortunately, i haven't seen any other laptops in this price range with these specs and a touchscreen. hopefully im not asking too much :)

speedj2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
for the reference of those who may stumble across this thread with the same issue, 65C idle temp for the x202e is too high. get it replaced.
there are a lot of reviews online saying that this laptop runs hot. and it certainly does. however, 65 seemed a bit unreasonable to me, so I was hoping to get clarification. anyway, after replacing (again) my new one runs in the upper 40s - low 50s Celsius when idle in a room kept at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. its still hot and when pushed, still has throttling issues, but its not nearly as bad.