Asus Vivobook X542UN vs Acer Aspire A715

marcee93

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
Hey guys!!
I would appreciate some help to decide which laptop should I buy, the specs are basically almost the same, same price, but do not know a lot about laptops so not sure which one is better.
I`ll use it mostly for multimedia,browsing and some gaming (Fifa 18, CS:GO, LoL maybe GTA V)

So the 2 laptops are the following:

Asus Vivobook X542UN
CPU: Intel Core i5-8250U
Screen: FHD, not IPS
RAM: 8 GB RAM
HDD/SSD: 1000 GB 5400RPM / 275 GB SSD
VGA: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 4GB

Acer Aspire A715
CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ
Screen: FHD, IPS
RAM: 8 GB RAM
HDD/SSD: 1000 GB 5400RPM / 256 GB SSD
VGA: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5

All the thoughts are appreciated.
Regards

Solution
"Maybe GTA V" - I like that addition...

I wouldn't attempt to play GTA V with anything short of a 4GB GTX 980, preferably a 10-series card, although I'm not sure that even a 2GB 1050 card will be of much use except at medium-to-low settings. So if you're serious about this particular game, you need to go with the Acer at the very least.

The MX150 card in the ASUS is a slightly more powerful version of the 2GB 940MX industry workhorse but it won't be enough to run GTA V either.

Leaving Los Santos for a moment, the Acer definitely has the better overall hardware setup. The ASUS may sport the new Kaby Lake-R CPU and there's nothing wrong with this laptop. But the Acer adds an IPS panel and a dedicated gaming GPU to the mix, and the IPS...
"Maybe GTA V" - I like that addition...

I wouldn't attempt to play GTA V with anything short of a 4GB GTX 980, preferably a 10-series card, although I'm not sure that even a 2GB 1050 card will be of much use except at medium-to-low settings. So if you're serious about this particular game, you need to go with the Acer at the very least.

The MX150 card in the ASUS is a slightly more powerful version of the 2GB 940MX industry workhorse but it won't be enough to run GTA V either.

Leaving Los Santos for a moment, the Acer definitely has the better overall hardware setup. The ASUS may sport the new Kaby Lake-R CPU and there's nothing wrong with this laptop. But the Acer adds an IPS panel and a dedicated gaming GPU to the mix, and the IPS panel is a feature you'll enjoy every time you open the laptop.

But here's the perennial BUT: Acers aren't very well built and customer support is considered below average. ASUS tend to build slightly better machines, but for all their good looks they also tend to suffer from battery issues and overheating, which isn't going to be less of an issue when cramming an MX150 GPU into this slim chassis.

Ultimately, I'd recommend the Acer, but do not drop it or make any sudden moves around it - it's very fragile!

Solution
Feb 16, 2018
Definitely Acer IPS screen is better than ASUS, but you will have slightly more power consumption, and an older Intel core. 7300HQ consumes more energy and need larger blowing fan. Kabu lake newer design with the very low heat spread. I would definitely go with ASUS, but with I7 instead of I5. I7 have 4 cores - 8 threads.

rgd1101

Don't

that i5 is also quad cores with 8 thread
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i5-processors/i5-8250u.html

Feb 16, 2018