ASUS X555LF - Recovering data from possibly crashed OS

crimsondonovan

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
So, I have a X555LF laptop from Asus, got it last year, never had much problems, that is until some weeks ago, Windows 10 could barely boot, managed to get in sometimes and after using the factory reset (the option that keeps your files) on Safe mode (which worked fine), everything was fine for a while, stupid me didn't think about backing stuff up thinking it was a just a minor problem that was solved.

However, came a point where I couldn't access it at all, tried the Recovery -> cmd -> bootrec stuff to try and fix boot, renamed bcd to bcd.old and still didn't work, tried rebooting, went directly to Bios, and if I disabled the safe boot option, enabled two options that I forgot the name (like someone suggested on the internet) and forced the Bios to boot the HD (here's the deal, it actually recognizes it, keep this in mind).

Got me one 16gb pendrive with Ubuntu 17 and a 16gb micro sd with a reader, installed Recovery Drive on the second, the Bios recognized it, didn't have much luck there, got a few 80004001 and that's it. Now, Ubuntu, works fine, but I can't seem to find the NTFS partition of windows that should be there. Is there anything I can do? I just honestly wanted to backup a few pictures and videos with personal value, could careless about the rest.

Solution
You ALWAYS keep backups, not just if you think the system will die. It is too late after something breaks. If you remove the drive and connect it as a secondary in another system that may work. You can try running a scan on the drive also using Recuva but that is more for files you delete, not trying to get it from a failed drive.
You ALWAYS keep backups, not just if you think the system will die. It is too late after something breaks. If you remove the drive and connect it as a secondary in another system that may work. You can try running a scan on the drive also using Recuva but that is more for files you delete, not trying to get it from a failed drive.

Solution