Solved! ASUS X75A charging circuit board burning out

pproph01

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
I am currently troubleshooting a notebook for my brother, the aforementioned ASUS X75A. A few months ago it wasn't powering on. They had previously replaced the charger a couple years back and the battery earlier last year. Since the symptoms were similar to a problem he had with another ASUS laptop (different model), I deduced that the circuit board with the AC jack had a problem. I took it apart and it appeared to me that one of the solder points near the jack had burned out. I purchased a replacement circuit board from ebay, swapped it out and we were good to go. They used the laptop for a month or two and are now coming back to me with the same problem.

I suspect that the board is again the problem, but I want to figure out what's causing the burnout. I checked the specs of both the replacement battery and replacement charge cable and they're both compatible with the laptop model as well as each other. Is it likely one of those items that is causing a problem and burning out the circuit board? Is there a way for me to test the battery and/or charger to see if they are functioning as they should be?

At $30 a pop for the board, we obviously don't want to just keep replacing them if they're going to fry. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!