Discussion ASUS Zenbook Flip S UX370UA Digitizer Crack

Jul 29, 2019
I own a Zenbook Flip S UX370UA (i7/16GB/512GB). Since day one, the laptop had an overheating issue. After 15/20 minutes of light usage it would turn burning hot. This is an issue that has been reported by other users as well.

At the end of June, after working for ~3 hours, I shut it off, closed the lid and put it back to its original case. Next morning I took it off its case and after opening the lid I was shocked to find out a crack was formed at the glass panel, starting from the microphone (the hole next to the webcam) along with some glue-like substance (most probably from the case) at the right side of the base.

The screen works OK, it’s the touch panel that’s been cracked. The laptop is literally as-new (not even the slightest scratch). I took extremely good care of it. A service technician, told me that the most probable cause of this is that the glass panel’s temperature tolerance was exceeded and due to thermal shock it cracked at the point where it’s most vulnerable, the hole of the microphone. This is clearly a case of a defect in the glass.

Since the laptop is still under warranty, I contacted ASUS support and they issued an RMA. I sent the laptop to the service center (July 2). I got an e-mail 15 days after with a proforma-invoice of 400 Euros attached, stating that the laptop cannot be repaired under warranty (man-made misuse).

First of all the LCD Screen is not broken. It's the glass panel (digitizer) that has been cracked.

The laptop is in PERFECT condition. There is no way I could have broken myself the digitizer without hurting the actual screen. Had I hit the laptop from the outside or the inside, there would have been visible marks and the screen itself would have stopped working. The digitizer is supposed to be GORILLA GLASS.

Had I broken the screen myself, I would repair it. But knowing that this is not caused by myself and being asked to pay for repairing a "man-made" (as ASUS service calls it) damage really drives me mad!

Photos available here: Click here for a photo album!

I would really appreciate it if any of you could share any experiences with ASUS / similar cases, as right now I am the proud owner of a 1500 Euros paperweight..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GameWinner31 Laptop General Discussion 0
vladigt9 Laptop General Discussion 0
erikasdom Laptop General Discussion 0
MaxG2356 Laptop General Discussion 0
F Laptop General Discussion 1
T Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 2
K Laptop General Discussion 3
R Laptop General Discussion 4
L Laptop General Discussion 1