Asus Zenbook UX303L boot to black screen, fans throttle for 4 seconds, then shut down

supperhey

Commendable
Feb 11, 2016
Hi, it is my first post here so be gentle. I have an Asus Zenbook UX303L that was pushed back too far and broke the LCD back panel. The thing still works fine after the accident, and i tried to replace that part. Long story short, I replaced it and upon re-assembling it, the laptop boots to black screen, fans throttle for 4 seconds, then shuts down. The LED under the power button and the caplock are on within these 4 seconds. This is what i have tried:

-Disconnect battery, hold power button down for 60 seconds, then reconnect to the PSU and boot
-Remove CMOS battery for 1 minute, then put it back and try to boot
-Remove SSD, then try to boot without
-Remove RAM, then try to boot without
-Disconnect LCD cable, then try to boot with HDMI to external monitor
-Even in so far as removing the fan, apply thermal paste, then put fan back and boot

I am at wit end here. The laptop works before the repair process (with the broken LCD back). Right now whenever I connect it to the adapter, the light indicating the battery is charging or full lits up still. Please help me. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

You've pretty much done all the possible troubleshooting steps but here are some more steps that may help.
- Do try booting up your laptop without its battery and see if that will work or not.
- If these doesn't work do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage.
- If all these will not work it's the motherboard that is faulty already unfortunately.

supperhey

Commendable
Feb 11, 2016

Yes i've booted without the battery, does not work. And unfortunately I do not have another AC adapter since asus have their own adapter and the ones i have at hand does not fit. My Question is, how can the board fails that fast, it just sits in a spare laptop box, covered in bubble wraps for a couple days while i waits for the part, and upon re-assembling it just craps out? I always grounds myself to watch out for static shock and such also while working with these. Right now the thing is sitting at my house plugged in the wall bc i dont know what else to do beside getting a new CMOS battery (on its way). Im just curious whether it is possibly the cmos battery that does this (the ultra book is about 2 yrs old of use). The first trick i did usually works on non-powering mobo though, but this one still powers on, and just shuts off after the exact 4 seconds of fan-throttling.