Asus zenbook UX31A won't turn on

andrewli

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
My zenbook ux31a which I use solely for work just turned itself off today during use, and now refuses to boot.
When the laptop is plugged in, and I press the power button, it powers up to the windows logo but says "preparing automatic repair", then shuts off immediately. If I press the power button again, the keyboard and everything will light up and the laptop then instantly turns off without even displaying anything on screen.
If the laptop is unplugged, nothing happens at all when power button is pressed.
After leaving it off and plugged in for a long enough time, the laptop once again goes to the first state, where it prepares automatic repair and the whole cycle just repeats.
Have tried to hold down the power button both plugged and unplugged.

When you get that "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen try the following...

1. When you get to the "Automatic Repair" screen click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
2. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
3. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

andrewli

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018

That will not work because the laptop just shuts down instantly before anything can be done