Review Asus ZenWiFi AX (XT8) review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2021
Very happy with the two-unit XT8; performance, coverage and features.
I had bought a single unit as well to increase coverage, but I think I'll return it because the two devices work so well.

One surprising benefit.
I have a Fire TV 4k on a different floor which insisted on connecting to the slower 2.4GHz band presumably because of the stronger signal.
Online advice is to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands separate SSIDs.
Then configure the Fire TV stick to use the 5GHz band.
But I didn't want to do that.

Instead I used the ASUS Wireless MAC filter to deny connection from the Fire TV to the 2.4GHz band.
It now connects at 5Ghz and although the Fire TV says the signal is marginal, it generally manages 120 Mbps download which is close to the speed of my internet connection.

Doh_123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
Another happy ZenWiFi AX user. The mesh covers my house really well, lots of speed on the internet. Seeing 500-650Mbps on gigabit fiber internet using wifi-6 at the AiMesh node that's about 40 - 45' feet away from the AImesh router. This is without wired backhaul, about two or more times the speed of eero Pro or eero Pro 6 without wired backhaul. As much speed as I'll ever need.

And it has both a web admin GUI and a very useful smart phone app as well. The smart phone app makes set up a breeze. After that you have the web admin GUI for per-client/per-app traffic data stats, system log, etc. After using the eero for several years, not being dependent on having the internet up to configuration tasks, and being able to have a system log, and lots more in the web admin GUI, is really a step up. The eero may be easier to admin, but you pay in terms of speed and monitoring capability, I've found. Especially speed, if you don't have wired backhaul.

Very happy with it, never goes down except for when I change firmware or make some other configuration change that requires a power-cycle. Can't recommend this enough.

Jun 20, 2021
I wish I could agree after spending all that money for two units. I have completely lost my collection of 8 legacy music streaming devices (squeezebox) which use 802.11G. They will connect wirelessly for about two minutes then not at all. Problems with a wifi bath scale a couple of other older devices too. I have spoken to Asus a couple of times. I believe If I turn off WiFi6 they might work. After spending that much for fast Wifi6, what kind of solution is that? Have had other temporary network disconnection issues too. Had I known, I would have spent more on the Orbi. Very disappointed, my former Asus 3200 router was King.. I would have to recommend, avoid the AX XT8.

Jun 22, 2021
Expensive and works ok. I have been having a problem in that I keep my wifi connected but lose internet. It happens multiple times a day and I have to reconnect to wifi to get it back. After hours with tech support, I have a faulty unit so I can return it and get another since I am under warranty. It costs me $55 to send it back and then 2-3 weeks to get a new one or repair. Try living in this day and age for 2-3 weeks without wifi. So bottom line. There is no warranty. Avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS