AsusX540SA keyboard malfunction

May 23, 2018
I have completed several suggested steps to resolve the issue:
1) turn on filter keys in settings
2) uninstall/reinstall keyboard driver
3) clean the keyboard

The keyboard has completely stopped functioning after one key ("/" key to be exact) became stuck, even with the key itself removed. After several restarts and driver reinstallations, the keyboard fully functioned for a day. After start-up the following day, the keyboard again fully malfunctioned without the ability to register a single key except the power key. It has had random moments of registering certain keystrokes but they were either incorrectly registered (a "b" would register as a "u") or random keystrokes would register without actually typing ("[1]" would magically register itself).

The touchpad has full function and I'm using the on-screen keyboard to compensate.

The laptop has had battery issues,howver I'm not sure if it's related. I'm operating in Windows 10. No liquids have been spilled on the laptop. I have yet to try an external keyboard.

I want to have a better idea if this indeed a hardware issue. Thank you in advance!

Solution
I doubt a battery issue is related. I am assuming you restarted it after uninstalling the keyboard driver and before reinstalling it? If not I would suggest you try it that way. Not restarting in between doesn't really change anything.

Also, have you tried to connect an external keyboard to see if that works fine? If it does, then it may well be the attached keyboard just needs replacing. It happens.
I doubt a battery issue is related. I am assuming you restarted it after uninstalling the keyboard driver and before reinstalling it? If not I would suggest you try it that way. Not restarting in between doesn't really change anything.

Also, have you tried to connect an external keyboard to see if that works fine? If it does, then it may well be the attached keyboard just needs replacing. It happens.

Solution