AT&T Announces Motorola Atrix 4G Superphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I've been relatively loyal to Motorola phones until I got my Samsung Captivate...
I initially loved that phone, but the status of their software updates/support, GPS bugs, bizarre reboots, etc... has left me at a point where I'm not recommending this phone. The Atrix is very interesting to me...

Their pricing on the laptop dock is a little out of wack. The processing power of the Atrix should be in the neighborhood of a dual-core netbook (the one i have is $330)... so being a 'brain dead' shell... you are more or less paying $300 for a screen and maybe a battery. I would consider it having $200 value.

G

Wait..... Isn't that the price of an unlocked smartphone online anyway? You can't even root that thing. Plus you have to agree to pay for tethering? No Thanks AT&T . I will pay for my tegra 2 phone for the same price , root it and tether it of my choosing. Finally I can terminate that plan when I wish. Greedy AT&T, Greedy.....

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
@jpmucha I agree that the dock seems expensive. However, I dont think the processing power of the atrix will be close to that of the dual core netbook. The netbook atom processor is much faster in absolute terms. If you look at performance/watt the atrix may be faster.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
500$ for the dock is pretty steep. hope they bring it around 100-200$ ( i know, its a huge drop. But i would rather opt for a real laptop at 500$ )

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]squallypie[/nom]500$ for the dock is pretty steep. hope they bring it around 100-200$ ( i know, its a huge drop. But i would rather opt for a real laptop at 500$ )[/citation]

then the screen quality would probably suck a lot

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]i would prefer the seabird, the awesome phone concept that everyone seems to have forgot about.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG3tLxEQEdg[/citation]

I never forgot about it.

And I still want that as well ;)

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I'm probably missing something here, but I'd like to know how a company without a 4G network plans to run this thing.[/citation]
Who needs actual 4G when you can just say you have 4G and charge more and people will pay?

G

I think it's hilarious that when "Palm" came up with this exact Idea "Folio" years back everyone laughed at them! Granted at the time, the price was way too high and the "Treo" didn't have the power of an Android phone. But it illustrates the old saying that "Timing is everything"...

G

ATT phones and plans remind me of a story where a king who needed to survive by sacrificing a person a day and eventually running out of criminals to sacrifice. So he lured people with money bags on street and whoever takes it becomes criminal, thus ultimately becomes a sacrificial lamb or person.

ATT lures customers with cool phones and bags them with their horrible plan. So suffer at the end of the month when you have to pay bill but you can enjoy the other 29 days playing with your phone.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]whatisupthere[/nom]@jpmucha I agree that the dock seems expensive. However, I dont think the processing power of the atrix will be close to that of the dual core netbook. The netbook atom processor is much faster in absolute terms. If you look at performance/watt the atrix may be faster.[/citation]
You're probably right. I was going from the 'low power processor' in a netbook vs. another 'low power processor' in a phone in a netbook shell... Anyway, saying the dual core netbook is faster is just more argument that the extra $300 (and extra required contract...or the $500 standalone price tag) for the dock isn't a very customer oriented pricing scheme.

We'll see if the market supports this pricing. $200/$600 (sub/unsub) for the phone itself is pretty standard... no real issues there. I guess accessories are always priced to make up for loss leaders... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.