AT&T Blocks Non-Market Apps From Androids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kira1188

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Man... AT&T has been just as evil as the appholes at Apple recently. Luke Wilson downloading himself, getting rid of their unlimited data plan "to save you money and give you more choice," and now this? I'm glad I have Verizon.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Well I guess this answers my question. I've decided to move to an Android device and was waiting to see if ATT would neuter the next one.. they did.. Screw AT&T. Ditching them on general principle when my contract is up.

trnddwn33

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]kira1188[/nom]Man... AT&T has been just as evil as the appholes at Apple recently. Luke Wilson downloading himself, getting rid of their unlimited data plan "to save you money and give you more choice," and now this? I'm glad I have Verizon.[/citation]

Verizon needs a commercial to make fun of the capped data plan. Half way through a download, "oh too bad you've reached your data plan limit... would you like to pay another 15 dollars to see this video?

G

How depressing, really depressing. Does this mean that an unlocked phone, or a laptop w/data plan, might be interfered with by AT&T??

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]azr[/nom]Can it be bypassed / jailbroken ?[/citation]

If the phone has been rooted then it should be a non issue to restore that functionality.

70camaross396

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
that sucks. my contract is up in september, and i was looking forward to replacing my BlackJack II with a Aria. I have avoided motorolla phones after the bad experience I had with a razor. HTC makes great phones, I loved my cingular/htc 3125. I have never had problems with ATT voice or data plans, and rarely have i had dropped calls. maybe i will look at t-mobile or Verizon for my android phone if they are going to lock them down

G

so does this mean that as a developer, I cannot put my own apps on this phone?

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol, hands up who needed another reason to stay away from AT&T anyway?

also, fyi AT&T, iphone has this little thing called jailbreaking... might wanna look into that.

nightwraith35711

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
didn't people sue over the removal of Linux support from PS3? same thing, where a feature that you paid for (installing non-market apps in this case) is removed. I mean, between Google (who is probably not going to support AT&T on this one) and that, I don't think its going to last long.

long term: they aren't going to get another android phone. and they aren't going to support the ones they have now.

flea420

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]nightwraith35711[/nom]didn't people sue over the removal of Linux support from PS3? same thing, where a feature that you paid for (installing non-market apps in this case) is removed. I mean, between Google (who is probably not going to support AT&T on this one) and that, I don't think its going to last long.long term: they aren't going to get another android phone. and they aren't going to support the ones they have now.[/citation]

Sued and sofar have gotten nowhere. And this is different, the phones have it disabled from the begining. I doubt google was blind to how att was going to use their os. I promise, you will see more locked down android phones on their network.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Hmmm, I used to defend AT&T cause I have not had a problem with their service since I've been with them for over 6 years, but these gah damn iPhones are ruining it for me.

Finally its time for me to get a new phone and I was hoping to get a HTC/android phone. But the ones I want are on other carriers, no big deal, there are some coming out later, I can wait. So now they want to cap downloads, that blows, doesn't matter I don't use much anyhow. Now they want to lock android phones, HA, holy hell looks like I might actually be changing carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.