AT&T Confesses: It Can't Handle iPhone, iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I don't blame them. Didn't they bought a company for billions? This what happens when your greedy. Invest the money in your infrastructure and instead of covering the entire network of america you should focus on a smaller states with high population like NY.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Frightening ? Really ? wait... That was like back in the day when internet was on dialup and the phone companies couldn't keep enough relays in stock because of the old ones melting... Hmmm time to get that new hi-gloss fiber out there and quit sitting on the Isquared platform and open this party up! For ANY company to admit that they can't handle "it" after all these years of seeing this technology come to fruition needs to be hit upside the noggin with a tablet with their mommas telling them "I TOLD YOU !" but like most individuals .. they don't listen... shame .. now all that profit is going to have to put money back in infrastructure... Yeah .. I know . good luck.

G

REALLY!? AT&T admit it can't handle the massive data usage? They did not have to admit to anything. It's common knowledge!

"AT&T began to see troubles around four years ago"...so what did AT&T do in that four years?

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I wonder what percentage (albeit low) of the data use was consumed by Apple's tracking software built into the new iPhone. LOL Wouldn't that be hilarious...

You can't trust Apple folks.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]I don't blame them. Didn't they bought a company for billions? This what happens when your greedy. Invest the money in your infrastructure and instead of covering the entire network of america you should focus on a smaller states with high population like NY.[/citation]

Yeah, then you become Cell Phone Company of NY. The rest of the country hates you, because your tiny network in B.F.E. can only handle 3 calls at once, and you lose your foothold everywhere except NY.

AT&T admitted (by a huge TV/Marketing campaign) that it's week point is in the rural areas. That's why they did the huge TV commercial campaign claiming to have service in Bozeman, Montana (they specifically mentioned this city). Frankly, I live there and can tell you they did NOT have service in Bozeman, Montana until they bought out Alltell. Very few people here have AT&T phones (except all the former Alltell customers).

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Good job AT&T. Imagine if that $39 billion you spent on buying a competitor was used instead to improve your service. Sure you can use their network, but that doesnt actually make anything better because they still have customers too!

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]...AT&T admitted (by a huge TV/Marketing campaign) that it's week point is in the rural areas...[/citation]

Man it's the end of the day. That should read "weak point". TGIF!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
here is something i know.

cell phone call quality is about 250kb a minute, probably less.
and back before the real internet was on phones, you had a 6-40kb per web page mostly just text.

that 8000% increase is 80x what they had before, so 80x6&40 comes out to 480kb and 3200kb a web page.

that sounds low, so i'm guessing most people are smart enough not to go to youtube for hours on 3g, and do it over wifi.

i seriously wish i had the money to get into telecommunication, i would SO be the best network, even if slightly limited (at first only cities with over 1 million people, than branching out to rural communities)

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
For AT&T, it is cheaper to buy another telecom with its established infrastructure than to expand their own. The Bozeman/Alltel story above is a perfect example.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]digitalrazoe[/nom]Frightening ? Really ? wait... That was like back in the day when internet was on dialup and the phone companies couldn't keep enough relays in stock because of the old ones melting... Hmmm time to get that new hi-gloss fiber out there and quit sitting on the Isquared platform and open this party up! For ANY company to admit that they can't handle "it" after all these years of seeing this technology come to fruition needs to be hit upside the noggin with a tablet with their mommas telling them "I TOLD YOU !" but like most individuals .. they don't listen... shame .. now all that profit is going to have to put money back in infrastructure... Yeah .. I know . good luck.[/citation]
You really believe that they are going to upgrade their infrastructure? They will simply introduce data plans of 20 MB, 50MB and so on to keep data usage in check.

G

Sometimes iOS apps will run in the background and run wild on the network. A few weeks ago, my phone started getting warm and the battery would run down after a few hours. A big clue was my day to day network usage jumped to about 150MB a day. Since I never listen to music or watch video over cell, this made me suspicious. I reset my phone to factory standards, and the everything went back to normal. When I restored my setting, the old problem started up again. I don't know what caused it, but I know the culprit is in my backup image.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I have been getting those stupid 'tether' emails and texts from AT&T. I got iPhone, AT&T and unlimited $30 plan when 3G first came out and now they are threatening to change my plan without my consent. I have seen so much news about AT&T with record profits. Why haven't they been spending this iPhone profit money on adding cell towers and such? I suspect AT&T will see many losses as peoples 2 year contracts start coming to an end. I know I am jumping ship to either Verizon, Sprint, or boost. And AT&T can keep all their whining bullshit to themselves. Other telcos charge alot less for alot more bandwidth in other countries, and they seem to survive and make money. AT&T is about pure greed, plain and simple.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
It appears the major CSPs did not properly upgrade their networks to handle the amount of new smart phones and all the bandwidth they take up. Too many smart phones coming into the market in such a relatively short amount of time is blowing out the network :p

Status
Not open for further replies.