AT&T FamilyMap: Stalk People for $15/Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Ooooooo... Track me! Track me! This should be really convenient for those over obsesive boyfriends who cheat on their girlfriends then relentlessly accuse them of the same thing. People will die over this tool. :eek:)

G

I am really getting tired of opinion/BLOG pieces being listed under the NEWS section. You really need to stop doing this. Create an opinion section if you want this.

avericia

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Ha, So now you have to turn your phone off when you go where you are not supposed to be because it only pings the towers when its on, that's a huge pain! ..... how much are prepaid go phones from gas stations?

G

just wrap your phone in aluminum ...
unwrap it if you need to call ...

G

Finally... a system that DOESN'T cost me an arm and a leg for tracking things. Never have to worry about where your geriatric parents have wondered off. About trust, I would not care if the people I trust knew where I was, I have nothing to hide. How much would this tech have been worth to you if your child was stolen? Cell-phone embedded belt/other apparel would be fantastic (although I recognize one of the first things "smart" criminals do is strip the child and give them different clothes :( )

GeForceATi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I think this is a great idea, if a parent finds it necessary to know where their kids are, then they should have every tool available for it. Don't talk about trust, because parents know when kids deserve trust, and this tool wouldn't be necessary. But for those kids who obviously don't deserve this trust, they SHOULD be tracked and accounted for. It's like that commercial...It's 8pm, do you know where your kids are?

As for kids just turning their phones off, or wrapping it in foil...I doubt they would want to do that because it would block incoming calls as well.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I'm all about trust. Just knowing where you're kids phone is doesn't mean you know where THEY are nor what they are doing.

Some people are good with trust, some are not. This probably won't change that.

But it would be handy as heck for a lot of reasons...like coordinating picking a family member up, or hiking/biking/offroading etc. and going on various trails or faster/slower than the main group without worry of spending hours trying to track someone down.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]floydjg2000[/nom]I am really getting tired of opinion/BLOG pieces being listed under the NEWS section. You really need to stop doing this. Create an opinion section if you want this.[/citation]

We recently published a post asking whether or not you guys want blog posts/style pieces/columns. Leave your feedback here.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I live in Japan and this service has been offered for years here by NTT and other companies. Anyway, while it can be a very intrusive service it can also be very good. In Japan cell phones are used by so many that it has become very difficult to find a public phone. Because of this, just about everyone has a cell phone to include very young kids. In most cases cell phones that are given to very young kids are purchased with a plan that will only allow them to call set numbers (ex. mom and dad, 911…). This service is very useful for them because if they ever become lost or abducted you will be able to find them if they still have the phone on them (hidden in a backpack or whatever). If you think this service is just a bad thing and your spouse will just use it to spy on you then DON’T GET IT. Others may have a use for it.

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]free4paradice[/nom]rfid should be legal, law enforcement should have access to this stff, but the general public should not.[/citation]

You must be on crack! The government should never have this power!

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]andhgnjw[/nom]Finally... a system that DOESN'T cost me an arm and a leg for tracking things. Never have to worry about where your geriatric parents have wondered off. About trust, I would not care if the people I trust knew where I was, I have nothing to hide. How much would this tech have been worth to you if your child was stolen? Cell-phone embedded belt/other apparel would be fantastic (although I recognize one of the first things "smart" criminals do is strip the child and give them different clothes )[/citation]

They already can track people with their cell phones, if they are lost or missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.