AT&T Fires Back at Verizon in iPhone 4 Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
But most people have access to wifi networks, so this point is moot.

Besides I would rather be able to make and receive a call then "say" i can do both... AT&T doesn't even have reliable service in major metropolitan areas...

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
But who really cares about that? I mean- if you're using an iPhone the worst you'd have to do is hang up and then call back. That's no problem with Verizon where you're actually going to have a signal to connect to, so that feature isn't really needed.

And there's always WiFi, though I don't know if that feature works over a non-cellular connection.

I'd rather be able to use the phone as a phone than be able to surf the web while I chat. Your call will probably drop while you do that with AT&T, so, well...

G

iI have had no problem with ATT been with them for 20 plus years.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Too old toms, it's as if you're posting news from last year.[/citation]

This ad was shown for the first time during the superbowl...It is only a few days old. I have to say AT&T did a great job at firing back.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
AT&T has now launched a response that points out that users can't use both data and voice at the same time on Verizon's network.
Either I got lucky, or AT&T is downright lying. I have Verizon, and can do simultaneous voice and data...
Either way, I'd rather NOT be able to than have to put up with having either AT&T or an iPhone. Until they both stop sucking, I'll be sticking with an Android device on Verizon. (I know, I know, Verizon isn't the best either, but they're the much lesser of two evils)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Ah yes, the old 'AT&T doesn't have signal anywhere' It's fun to say, and popular! I use AT&T, not AT&Sheep like so many people who have 1) never had any other provider and therefore have nothing to compare their service to, and 2) never had AT&T service, but can't resist joining in the fantasy bashing. Dolts.

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Having had an iPhone with ATT I can attest to their poor signal strength. But having ditched them a year ago for Android and Verizon I can honestly say that not being able to surf and take a phone call at the same time is really not that big of a deal. I dont miss the dropped calls one bit.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I have had ATT for 7 years now and have never had any major issues. Maybe this is just the area I live in though. From north-central Texas, to southeast Texas, I have had no problems. I have also made many commutes through the majority of Louisiana and have never noticed problems there either. But like I said, maybe it's just the areas that I use my phone.

I don't know. I seriously doubt that all of the ATT bashers really have grounds to bash on. I would say the majority are probably just Verizon users wanting to take their shot. Though there has to be some truth to ATT network reliability, that truth only comes from people that have actually used their service. As for me, I would say my experience has been nothing but positive.

Anyways, I thought the commercial was good. I thought Verizon's jab at ATT was well-played too though.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]dtm4trix[/nom]Having had an iPhone with ATT I can attest to their poor signal strength. But having ditched them a year ago for Android and Verizon I can honestly say that not being able to surf and take a phone call at the same time is really not that big of a deal. I dont miss the dropped calls one bit.[/citation]
So you switch your phone AND your provider, but you 'know' it was the provider, not the phone, that made the difference in signal reception. Interesting...

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I'm going on 5 years with AT&T, and I have less problems with them than I ever did with Verizon. But that's just my experience. AT&T is great. Stop being lemmings.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
This doesn't really seem like a direct insult to Verizon, just promoting a feature that the network has. Don't really know why you guys have to dramatize it.

G

I've had 2 unlocked iphones (tmobile), 2 blackberry's, and an HTC HD2 running android over the last 4 years. Only ONCE have I ever needed to use data while on a phone call, and it was a trivial matter at best, a friend was buying a harddrive from someone and wanted to know if he was getting a good deal or not, so I pulled up newegg to see what the retail price was. Sure it was convenient, but hardly a selling point, and I would NEVER choose my carrier based on this absolutely frivolous capability.

ATT is really shooting themselves in the foot here. Most iphone idiots are barely capable of using the web in the first place, telling them they can talk while surf is just gonna be a big "zuh???" to them anyway. For the rest of us power users, we can see right through this and realize ATT is just grasping at straws, which only further drives us away.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
AT&T GSM phones, once unlocked, can be used overseas by replacing the SIM cards. That is one big plus for using AT&T. You cannot do that with Verizon nor Sprint phones, cuz they're CDMA. You'll be stuck with high international roaming rates using Verizon or Sprint. :)

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]AT&T GSM phones, once unlocked, can be used overseas by replacing the SIM cards. That is one big plus for using AT&T. You cannot do that with Verizon nor Sprint phones, cuz they're CDMA. You'll be stuck with high international roaming rates using Verizon or Sprint.[/citation]

Supposedly the Verizon iPhone has a chip that has both compatibilities. The only question would be if there is a SIM slot for one.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Too old toms, it's as if you're posting news from last year.[/citation]

Saw this during the Super Bowl too. Which was two days ago. Not really news considering half of America has already seen it. LOL

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]AT&T GSM phones, once unlocked, can be used overseas by replacing the SIM cards. That is one big plus for using AT&T. You cannot do that with Verizon nor Sprint phones, cuz they're CDMA. You'll be stuck with high international roaming rates using Verizon or Sprint.[/citation]
Not true, it depends on the phone. My Verizon BB Tour works just fine in China, I just have to put the SIM card in.

Status
Not open for further replies.