AT&T May Introduce iPhone Tethering Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

30$ + 30$ + IM fees... Doesn't sound like 'unlimited' to me...

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
This phone should not even be on sale at this time until the resolve the 3G issues. The only reason there isn't more outrage is the average itard has no idea what 3G how suppose to work. I demonstrated the problem with every single one that we have a the office 11 total every single one had the problem.

G

3G is stupidly overrated. Most people should have 3G off unless you are doing hard core surfing. and in most cases you have wifi available. If i'm out and using something I need speed I will turn on 3g, but until then Edge is the way to go always. less battery, better reception and adequate bandwidth for most browsing and email use.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The proposed iPhone plan sounds familiar, as all the cellular broadband plans I have researched have turned out to be almost identical in two key areas:

Total cost is $60/month for "unlimited" (device does not matter - if you have a smart phone, you typically a premium to your plan for data access from the phone. To tether it, the add on cost for unlimited data almost always brings the cost to $60/month. This is the same $60 for a full plan on a dedicated device.)

"unlimited" means 5GB data transfer per month. (Yes, even Sprint has gone this route now. Quite disappointing.)

---------------------------

I have yet to see a cellular broadband plan (which means dial up to 2M speeds typically) cost less than a classical broadband plan. Then again, when I went on vacation, I wasn't able to access my cable internet while traveling. However, being able to jump online when in an unfamiliar region to hunt down services (gas prices, where the nearest drug store is, where hotels and auto repair services are, and so forth) was a life saver. Add it the ability to "e-Commute" to work on bad weather days (or when waiting for the cable guys to come by and fix the system... again), and for my $60/month is well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.