AT&T Says NYC is 'Not Ready' For the iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
ugh...ATT needs to get its act together...It seems to me that ATT is trying to stall the market wrather than adapting to it...Being an ATT customer I am very hesitant about renewing my contract when it expires due to this assumption.

subliminalaffect

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
It's about time that att gets their just desserts by having their shady business practices and bloated, overpriced and underperforming services exposed. This company has been trash over the past decade and more and more of the public is waking up to this via verizon's help and their own self deterioration thanks to greed. God bless the Iphone!!!

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Wow! And this is one of the cities that they SAY they have great 3G coverage in...... Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! Way to go ATT! Soooo, I guess that means your commercials aren't really factual?

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
The iphone would kill any network in high concentration cities filled with yuppies who feel they need to have the latest trend electronics. Even if AT&T was ready it is still amazing the amount of people who "need" this novelty.

I also think they are taking "NY isn't ready" a bit too serious, because it is in fact AT&T that's not ready. It's like someone asking me if I finished building a house and I respond "no the house isn't ready" its not the house fault it's not built it's mine.

jjchmiel78

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I find it hilarious that ever since Verizon started a major advertising campaign against AT&T, that all AT&T seems to do is shoot themselves in the foot. They need new management yesterday, a new advertising agency now, and really start doing something. Keep shooting themselves in the foot at the pace they have since November and they won't have the business to worry about articles like this in a year or two. iPhone may be cool, but is not the magic wand to let AT&T get away with whatever they want and save their company.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
This is awesome. The more people AT&T pisses off, the more people that will see beyond the trendy glamor and move on to the superior android system.

Let the rise of the android system to dominance commence!

gwellin

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Actully if you pay attention to the AT&T commercials. They say they have coverage to over 98% of the people. That statement says nothing about 3G coverage. They are just saying 98% of people in the US have some cell phone coverage with AT&T. That is why verizon can get away with saying the have over 5x the 3G coverage.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
why would the biggest city in the USA have the fewest towers in the country? who has the most towers then? a small town in Alabama? and i'm sure it is elementary to everyone that the most iphone sales in the USA would be from new york.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jonathan1683[/nom]I wish apple would allow other carriers to have to iphone to help carry the burden.[/citation]

they already did it for Canada. every wireless carrier here sells the iphone now.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]why would the biggest city in the USA have the fewest towers in the country? who has the most towers then? a small town in Alabama? and i'm sure it is elementary to everyone that the most iphone sales in the USA would be from new york.[/citation]

When you have an area that is extremely densely populated, numerically you don't need as many "towers" to provide signal for the area. Plus they can put "towers" on top of buildings, so terrain and landscape aren't issues.

Where as in more rural type cities, hills and mountains seem to get in the way. And since in other cities growth goes outward (as opposed to up and down) you have to provide more towers to cover the area. It would make sense to me if NYC didn't numerically have a lot of towers. They just have towers crammed with transmitters, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.