AT&T Stitching Up Jailbroken iPhone Tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Is that even legal? I know the companies put into your contract that they have the option of changing something but to add something else to the contract without your permission? Also why does it matter if your tethering, its all the data your paying to use anyways.... what a rip

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I wish that they were broken up by Anti Trust legislation so they can't keep treating subscribers like they are nothing more than live stock at a paltry farm.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
As mentioned on other forums if you did get this notice, and they do change your plan, that gives you a release from any contract you have with them. You could speak to a customer rep about this very point and inform them of your possible intentions and they'll likely back down (refuse to speak to the fact of whether you are actually tethering, admit nothing). So X is the amount of letters they send out, Y is the amount of people who will bark back telling AT&T they won't stand for that. X - Y = Z, the amount of people mixed between ponying up or ceasing their non-contract tethering. AT&T is banking on Z.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
being charged for tethering should be illegal. It would be like your ISP charging you an extra fee for every PC and other network devices you connect to your home network.

G

If I got a E-Mail like this, I would send back a Snail Mail letter to the Cancellations Department smelling rather like poo!

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
if your on an unlimited data plan then they have to offer you unlimited data and just becasue you are conecting a laptop to it dosnt chang the fact your phone is the one sending and recieving the data, in other words you could take them to court over this

benage

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
This is BS no matter how you look at it. I totally agree with teknomedic. This is just clipping the ticket because they can when they are already making money from data caps. And I thought Telecom were A-holes here in NZ!

zrock

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
You are all so naive about the whole experience. There is a clause in EVERY US carrier's contracts stating if they even have SUSPICION that you are abusing your plan, or "attempting to game the system" then you can be charged any and all applicable fees without breaking the contract, including forcing an additional plan. I do agree that tethering should be free if you are on a limited data plan, but for the legacy planholders abusing tethering, something has to give. There is a reason the network is unable to sustain the data throughput.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]zrock[/nom]You are all so naive about the whole experience. There is a clause in EVERY US carrier's contracts stating if they even have SUSPICION that you are abusing your plan, or "attempting to game the system" then you can be charged any and all applicable fees without breaking the contract, including forcing an additional plan. I do agree that tethering should be free if you are on a limited data plan, but for the legacy planholders abusing tethering, something has to give. There is a reason the network is unable to sustain the data throughput.[/citation]
Yes, it's much cheaper to punish users rather than increasing their bandwidth and making their service more reliable. If taking them to a court doesn't warrant Justice then there must be something very wrong with the word Law...

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
i wonder how this applies to me. I'm under contract from alltel and have a 40 dollar unlimited data plan through at&t. I don't plan on tethering, but may swap the sim into the laptop.

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
I'm glad I don't live in the US. I'm in Canada, and on Rogers, (as far as I know) I can tether my phone all I want (mind you I only have 1GB of data/month....)
I agree, that, it should be illegal. Unless they have physical proof that you are tethering, they shouldn't be allowed to charge you any more for the services you are paying for. With that being said, they can't prove that you are tethering at all, considering you could be away from your home for an extended period of time, and you could be downloading a new app, or browsing the web, or watching videos from, say, YouTube a lot more than usual, which would mean increased bandwidth usage. Is this saying they are going to assume you are tethering because you're using more data than usual?
With all of that being said, it's kinda pathetic the US government, nor the FCC are doing anything about it.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
This tethering clause is such a huge dick move. It doesn't affect their network AT ALL if you tether, you still got your 2GB or so cap. It does absolutely nothing to their infrastructure, doesn't cause them bandwidth trouble, nothing. They just want to charge you more for having provided you with NOTHING more than they already are.

Status
Not open for further replies.