AT&T Tests LTE Network ''Real World'' 4G Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Sadly, I'm sure 95% of users aren't intelligent enough to switch to "Wi-Fi" whenever they can. Oh well, the phone companies will win on that one.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
"Verizon advertises LTE speeds of 5-12 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload."

Quick question, this advertised bandwidth of 5-12Mbps is this shared bandwidth or dedicated? If it is shared how is it shared?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The embarrassing thing about this is that their wireless is still faster than 80% of what all of Australia gets from wired connections..

G

great now we can communicate faster at the cost of eating food and the effect they have on bees.

G

Verizon's 4G sucks. It may be fast, but they "data manage" their network by funneling through a Proxy in LA, California. Fast doesn't cut it. You will have crappy pings and unreliable web surfing if you tether. Plus remember that you will being charged a small fortune.

mannypraz

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Att wins, as usual, still have UN PLAN from Cingular and have unlimited Internet package, text etc $90 with tax and will never go up

G

I've seen speed tests on Verizon LTE phones that are almost identical. That doesn't mean that once the network becomes saturated Verizon or AT&T are going to get anywhere near that.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Oh lord I can't wait til they impliment.. And I get a compatible phone.. That is faster than my cable at home :( Which, is embarrassing, tbh.. But then again.. We all know the cable companies are crap. Slightly off topic.. I'm surprised I haven't heard one AT&T sucks comment.. Maybe there is hope for Apple too? Nevermind.. prolly not ;P

daniel123244

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Sucks to be me, that's way faster than my landline DSL speed. I need to get a new provider[/citation]

in ontario i currently have 3mbps down/1mbps up lol

daniel123244

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Sucks to be me, that's way faster than my landline DSL speed. I need to get a new provider[/citation]

in ontario i currently have 3mbps down/1mbps up lol

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Woot for rural Wyoming Bresnan Cable and 30 mbps internet! At least I can say my home internet is faster.

Now, you know when AT&T deploys all of two towers in New York City that you aren't going to get anywhere near the lab test speeds posted here. Crowded cities and lost/repeated packets are going to cut way down on that.

I think Verizon has it right in posting advertised speeds more likely to be what you will really see.

G

Yea, Downs/Ups matter but latency is what's more important to me

paulthepwner

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Sadly, I'm sure 95% of users aren't intelligent enough to switch to "Wi-Fi" whenever they can. Oh well, the phone companies will win on that one.[/citation]

I have a T-1 at work, where I spend most of my time. I get 4 mbps down and 2 up with HSPA.

Why would I want to use wifi?

Status
Not open for further replies.