AT&T: Tethering Still Coming, No Cofirmed Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
It's not hard folks. AT&T says go for it and Apple turns it on. Done.

OK... so they'd want to charge more for the extra data usage, but carriers are already good at that.

G

Wont happen. ATT knows that once they lose iPhone to Verizon all their customers will go with it. ATT also knows that its network cannot handle the current demands on it. So ATT will keep iPhone and iPhone will be developed to minimize BW. Meanwhile, HTC with MS Mobile will continue to quietly be the best smart phones out there.

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Well you have to look at current tech. Until verizon updates or changes their network, all the current iphones will not work with them. iphone users would have to jump ship to tmobile or sprint if they were to leave att. Verizon being CDMA and the current iphones being HSDPA. You wouldn't see that big of a shift from att if it were opened up to all networks, probably just see new users going with a different provider but there are already 10+ million on att.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I have free tethering with t-mobile and me htc phone :D it should be a feature on all "smart phones" like osxsier i use mine when ever i find myself in need of a connection, and so far its worked great :D and it works on linux no prob >.< i run kubuntu on me mobile and its plug and play :D

PodSix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
how about you do something more with your time and money? wanna work on that abysmal 3G coverage you have there?

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I know no one likes complaints about spelling and grammar, but it's very sloppy when there are errors in professionally written articles, especially their titles. Once in a while is alright, but it's a daily occurrence, here at Tom's.

Even after comments pointing out the particular errors, for some reason, they are seldom fixed.

Jenoin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Indeed jailbreak your phone and tethering is easy... Suck it Apple and AT&T. Also based on recent news, don't forget to change the password on your iphones SSH server. ;P

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"If they allow tethering to iPhones, the users are going to be downloading videos and adding network demands."

Oh no !!! The users, fuck me the users. If we do this they are going to want to use their devices in a way we see fit. Heaven help us!!! We need Apple's insidious gestapo opression shit to keep the people under our thumb, otherwise they will enjoy themselves.

I want to puke...

bmwparking

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Analyst Jack Gold thinks that they should just NOT offer tethering at all? Is he serious? My company offers plenty of AT&T phones including the iPhone. With the economic decline we are now required to tether instead of use aircards as a cost saving measure. The ONLY reason I can't have my iPhone is because they don't offer tethering!! And Analyst Jack Gold wants them to delay it or never do it at all because it doesn't make enough revenue? What about the bad PR it has produced, or the focus on doing what is best for the customer?

bmwparking

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Analyst Jack Gold thinks that they should just NOT offer tethering at all? Is he serious? My company offers plenty of AT&T phones including the iPhone. With the economic decline we are now required to tether instead of use aircards as a cost saving measure. The ONLY reason I can't have my iPhone is because they don't offer tethering!! And Analyst Jack Gold wants them to delay it or never do it at all because it doesn't make enough revenue? What about the bad PR it has produced, or the focus on doing what is best for the customer?

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Tethering is about as difficult as turning on the phone. Google, folks... use it.

Have a Fuze myself, 1 registry edit and wireless/bluetooth teathering works like a charm.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]sciggy[/nom]Well you have to look at current tech. Until verizon updates or changes their network, all the current iphones will not work with them. iphone users would have to jump ship to tmobile or sprint if they were to leave att. Verizon being CDMA and the current iphones being HSDPA. You wouldn't see that big of a shift from att if it were opened up to all networks, probably just see new users going with a different provider but there are already 10+ million on att.[/citation]

Verison and Sprint are indeed both CDMA carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM, not HSDPA. HSDPA and HSUPA (High Speed Downlink/Uplink Packet Access) are protocols and constitute the real meaning of 3G. CDMA and GSM are different types of radios, both of with can use HSDPA/HSUPA.

Second, The radio in any phone can be changed out with a different type during manufacturing, usually with little to no modification to the design.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
AT&T cannot handle the current load on their 3g network as designed because of the iPhone users. Tethering iPhones only adds more potential problems. Its actually rather amazing that AT&T who owns most of the telco infrastructure at this point only allocates a walloping 8mbit standard spec of bandwidth to each 3g site. DSLAM's in major areas are usually allocated 155+ per RT. As to changing out a GSM radio for a CDMA one, there is usually not a problem; But in the case of the iPhone there will need to be some changes to battery / heat dispensation as the CDMA radios use more power than their GSM counter parts, as well as typically generating more heat. The iPhone tows the line as it is for both of those items, and 3g already ruins its battery capacity at least when using a 3gs version of the phone.
Verizon will have to wait till mid 2010 at earliest to even have a hope of an iPhone that can work on their network -- However verizon's allocated bandwidth isn't all that different from AT&T.. They simply do not have all the kids youtubing on their network from a phone yet like at&t does. Verizon's wireless infrastructure from what I know of it, will scale much better than AT&T's on that front; Long story short, AT&T had better do something and soon, because the iPhone is about all thats keeping them around at this point. However, when (and I say when because Apple is surviving on the iPhone / ipods and despite Steve Jobs tendencies of ignoring obvious money making positions, they do know what side their breads buttered on) Verizon gets the iPhone, they'll be in a similar boat as AT&T, however they should be able to plan better than AT&T for its success. Thus, MANY AT&T users are gonna jump ship when that happens.
My .02

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]Verison and Sprint are indeed both CDMA carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM, not HSDPA. HSDPA and HSUPA (High Speed Downlink/Uplink Packet Access) are protocols and constitute the real meaning of 3G. CDMA and GSM are different types of radios, both of with can use HSDPA/HSUPA.Second, The radio in any phone can be changed out with a different type during manufacturing, usually with little to no modification to the design.[/citation]

Ok so I got the protocols mixed up, that still doesn't change the main point of my post. All the CURRENT iphones are not equipped to work on many other networks. Sure they can change future phones, thats not a big deal but you already have a large number of people that have jumped ship from their other mobile carriers to pick up an iphone or att customers that are locked into 2 yr agreements. By apple opening the iphone up to other carriers I don't think they will be reaching that much larger of a customer base. Especially with all the hate going around about how it is an inferior phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.