AT&T Throttling iPhone Data 'Hogs' Down To 2G Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
The article makes it sound like they are only monitoring or limiting iPhones. Shouldn't iPhone in the article be replaced by "smartphone?"

Sounds pretty typical of the tactics of large corporations. If they can find a way to screw you, they will.

G

Wait does one have to exceed their data plan cap first before this kicks in?

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
The best part about all of this. AT&T was a NOTHING carrier until the iPhone took off. AT&T would not be in the position it is in financially if not for the initial iPhone adopters. These are the same people who still have unlimited data on their service.

How does AT&T replay their loyal and dedicated customers??

KICK THEM IN THE BALLS

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]dcompart[/nom]Wait does one have to exceed their data plan cap first before this kicks in?[/citation]

From reading the article the answer is nope. Just be in the top 5%, over data limit or not and it kicks in.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
When I read articles like that I'm more and more shocked when I read posts like "why is the government always on the backs of companies" The feds should just butt out and let the free market decide whats best".

I'm sure most of at&t users would like a lil government intervention now.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]The article makes it sound like they are only monitoring or limiting iPhones. Shouldn't iPhone in the article be replaced by "smartphone?"[/citation]
Probably, though unless you've got HSPA+ you're not going to come anywhere near the top 5%. I'm not sure how many phones AT&T offers with HSPA+, but I'd bet that the 4S represents the majority.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Probably, though unless you've got HSPA+ you're not going to come anywhere near the top 5%. I'm not sure how many phones AT&T offers with HSPA+, but I'd bet that the 4S represents the majority.[/citation]

Unless AT&T only does this with iPhone's, it's shoddy journalism.

I went into this article having read the title thinking it was something specific to iPhones. Given that AT&T have various Samsung, BB & Motorola models, including the Samsung Galaxy S 2 - the title is extremely misleading.

Whether iPhones are the majority of their users or not is absolutely irrelevant - the implication of the title is that some of the blame belongs to Apple.

G

How is AT&T making money from this? They are not billing more as in the B of A scenario. That's a poor analogy. Seems this is being done to protect the limited network capacity. The T-Mobile merger should help alleviate this issue.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]If you don't think Sprint will have to do the same thing eventually, you're kidding yourself.[/citation]

So what happens when all companies begin to do it once they see at&t do and and having nothing happen to them?

What are you going to do, leave at&t who randomly slow your data speed for sprint, verizion, or t-mobile who also randomly slow your data speed? Trust me if at&t does this with no punishment, then the other companies will to.

capttoilet

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I don't have internet access on my phone so I don't have to worry about a cap, but good god no wonder AT&T is ranked the LOWEST in customer service.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Unless AT&T only does this with iPhone's, it's shoddy journalism.I went into this article having read the title thinking it was something specific to iPhones. Given that AT&T have various Samsung, BB & Motorola models, including the Samsung Galaxy S 2 - the title is extremely misleading.Whether iPhones are the majority of their users or not is absolutely irrelevant - the implication of the title is that some of the blame belongs to Apple.[/citation]
The title does not assign any blame to Apple. Read it again. It is a fact that the vast majority of the "unlimited" data plans on Att are the ones "grandfathered" in that old iPhone data plan.
The implication of your comment is that you have a personal beef with SGS2 and that chip on your shoulder is now a crater.

GenKhan2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
As an iPhone owner on AT&T, I can tell you their 3G network is frequently only able to deliver 2G speeds anyway. Being throttled is like saying you're getting regular speed.

G

I think it's hilarious that people think a free market system would fix these kinds of problems. While the free market theory may be a good one, in theory, history shows that human greed always corrupts it. Do you guys TRULY believe that without government oversight, there wouldn't be pricing collusion amongst companies in every industry, and rampant monopolization, among other problems?

The banking example is a great one. Our major industries have all realized that fees are the golden path to easy profits. Any of you that think businesses are about providing superior customer service are delusional. It's all about customer abuse now, and finding out how far they can push their customers before they lose them, or before they're forced to stop pushing.

Democracy is a great ideal, but humans corrupt it. The same with capitalism, it's a fantastic ideal, but humans continuously corrupt it unless forced not to. Checks and balances. If our government needs it, so does our industrial complex.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]When I read articles like that I'm more and more shocked when I read posts like "why is the government always on the backs of companies" The feds should just butt out and let the free market decide whats best".I'm sure most of at&t users would like a lil government intervention now.[/citation]

That is simply because you don't understand that the market is this way because the government IS intervening. Why do you think it is always 2-3 big corporations in every market. Sure, there is "competition." You have the choice between McDonalds or Burger King, Republican or Democrat, Verizon or AT&T, CNN or Fox News. They are all run by the same group of people. The government intervenes to keep your choices limited to what they want it to be. There is NO "free market" today. There is an illusion of free market to keep you content.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Will all the haters please switch your cell provider to the Magical Cell Company That Has Magical Unlimited Bandwidth. I hear they have a $0.01 per month plan with unlimited everything at 9G speeds, with a new no-contract every 3 months. That's the company for you. Maybe then you would stop whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.