AT&T Wants to Forbid Customers From Suing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I am confident that the Supreme Court will look out for the little guys. The little guy here, of course, is poor old AT&T being bullied by millions and millions of its customers. After all, this is the same Supreme Court that granted local governments the right to seize private property under "imminent domain" on behalf of other private parties (mostly corporations), and which declared that faceless corporations are individuals under the law and able to contribute to and campaign for political candidates (how long before they can vote?).

Yep, we're totally screwed on this one.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]CrazeEAdrian[/nom]Just another scam attempt to take the little power we the consumers have left, our power in numbers.[/citation]

Too bad the Supreme Court has 5 corporate whores to carry the day for big telco, big oil, big whatever.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
You are not allowed to sue the government and they get away with murder. Hopefully AT&T looses this case. Class action lawsuits are the best defense the consumer has against Big Business.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I have three words for AT&T "WTF!" and if this passes I have seven words for the supreme court "An armed society is a polite society" Once the market becomes docile the market leaders will do with its customers as it pleases. This just proves (to me) that AT&T found something they did that is very very wrong are afraid of the consequences.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I am not so sure the Supreme Court will rule in favor of AT&T in this case.
Remember American Needle vs NFL ? The NFL wanted to be able to designate one manufacturer for all the teams' goodies (hats, shirts, whatever) and American Needle sued, citing antitrust law. The NFL was eager to put it in front of the Supreme court, thinking they would rule 5-4 in their favor.
They lost 9-0.

It could be that AT&T is making the same kind of mistake. I will actually call this one for Concepcion.

levin70

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
This is entirely not what this case is about. Go read the court documents.

The law in california requires certain tests to be performed in order to determine whether arbitration provisions are binding. Courts in california applied tests one way, AT&T says to apply tests another way. This has nothing to do about banning all claims to disallow class action status.

And for the record, go read the transcripts. In it, all parties have agreed that the AT&T arbitration features are the most consumer friendly ever produced. THey even clearly state within the filings that the people who are suing for class status will 100% be guaranteed to receive less money than if they would have simply stuck with the arbitration process.

How stupid is that. This is simply an attempt for trial lawyers to keep their ponzi scheme going.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]Yeah, and i want to "forbid AT&T from having horrible service but...[/citation]
I could not have said it better. AT&T DSL support is nothing but a circle of lies, waiting, transfered calls, and indecipherable broken english.

Wait an hour on hold to get to first real person whos first language was not english, expalin problem "sorry, I cannot help, let me transfer you to someone who can" wait on hold half hour explain problem again, "I dont understand your problem" let me transfer you, Wait on hold again expalin probem "let me tranfer you to someone that can help", wait/explain AGAIN! "sorry thats not under warranty anymore you will have to buy all new equipment" or "We cannot find the problem, all seems to be Ok here, well have to send out a tech in a few days". Ok, sure I'll sit here for 3-4 days without any internet connection while I am still paying for it and wont be compensated for the down time or lost productivity, no problem!

This happens about every 6months like clockwork, when their service mysteriouly slows to a crawl(I think its a plot to lower bandwithd and it goes unfixed unless the customer notices) or it just alltogether stops working, eventually you find out "someone made a mistake" it will be back to normal sortly, and thats after you spent 5hours with the phone tech and waited a few days for house call tech.

If it wasnt for greedy #$%@ Comcast wanting $60+ for cable internet and the only other chioce for us is this sad excuse for a company AT&T, they not would have this problem or have to worry about class action lawsuits because they wouldnt have ANY customers to sue them in the first palce.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]levin70[/nom]This is entirely not what this case is about. Go read the court documents.[/citation]

No way, the internet is for regurgitating inaccurate information and arguing about the non-consequences of it! Take your "facts" and your "court documents" elsewhere, law-monkey!

(And, yes, you are completely accurate - nice post).

G

I think you guys are missing the point. AT&T is going to the US Supreme Court to try an trump a state law. Different states have different ways when it comes to dealing with things. Big corporations abhor states rights because they have to spend money implementing different rules for each state. A conservative US Supreme Court will vote for the states to be able to allow their own laws even against big corporations.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Great those of you who voted for conservatives, reap your havoc, and thanks for being so stupid and pulling the rest of us down with you.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]therealfly[/nom]Thankfully, even if AT&T wins this case, there are no laws saying we have to buy a cell phone from AT&T.[/citation]

Yet....

BabyBell is trying to regain complete control global of communications -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Telephone_%26_Telegraph_Company

"Now all restaurants are Taco Bell" - Demolition Man

....and on 3 Conspiracy theorists GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.