Atari Founder Returns to Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
That sounds great... but I'm starting to really dislike microcharging even more than monthly charges. Look at battlefield heroes for instance... The least you can buy is $5 and gets you next to nothing. The most being $50 (which is a full retail game's price). If you can't get EVERYTHING in the game for $50 then you're getting screwed.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
It sounds great but the name Battleswarm: Field of Honor brings up mental images of Battlefield and Field of Dreams with maybe some bees in it.

G

It sounds interesting, especially if you can use RTS mode while your opponent uses FPS mode. However, assuming this article is correct, I'm rather turned off by the fact that it's 1) online only, and 2) you have to pay for in-game upgrades. I'd much rather pay $40-$50 bucks up front for the game and have unlimited online/LAN play, which is how most FPS/RTS games work.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
You're all forgetting the HL1 mod, Natural Selection. The standalone sequel (as opposed to a HL2 mod) is due out relatively soon, and so far it looks damn good. If they can have the same variety in maps, while spicing up the already excellent gameplay, they'll have a winner on their hands.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/

michiel79

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Isn't there anyone who ever tried out Battlezone II? Best RTS/FPS game ever! Includes resource (scrap metal) gathering, base building and even sniping the enemy out of their aircraft! I keep wishing someone is finally going to remake this game.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
He lost me first at 'microcharging' and again with 'cloud computing'. For the first, I like the same price no matter how much (or little) you want to play idea. For the second, cloud computing isn't magical, the rendering still has to be done to the same extent, and it will always me more efficient to do it closer to the user. Gaming in a cloud would lead to a regression in the visual quality of games. Besides, I enjoy building high performance computers more than actually playing games anyway.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]waikano[/nom]http://www.s2games.com/savage/You use a bow instead of an gun, but same concept.[/citation]

=D
Savage is awesome. (Also requires next to nothing for resources and plays well with linus without Wine.)
Too bad the sequal is not free. =/

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
i'm all for free games, but I don't think I'll ever buy anything using microtransactions. Basically it feels like you're getting a gimped game for free and then you basically "rent" upgrades that only last a little while. At least thats how it was in Combat Arms.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]That sounds great... but I'm starting to really dislike microcharging even more than monthly charges. Look at battlefield heroes for instance... The least you can buy is $5 and gets you next to nothing. The most being $50 (which is a full retail game's price). If you can't get EVERYTHING in the game for $50 then you're getting screwed.[/citation]

Depends on what the microtransactions get you. BF Heroes you pay for XP bonuses and cool outfits, nothing that actually effects the gameplay. I didn't really like the game that much but played for a couple weeks before BF1943 came out. My gameplay did not feel gimped because I wasn't dressed like the dude from V for Vendetta. My army greens were just fine.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I remember back in my days, you would pay full price for the game, and maybe once a year you could pay another 20$ for something called an "Expansion" if you wanted more content or to milk the franchise. Also the devs enabled something called "Mods" to motivate people to stay interested and get their friends playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.