ATH-M50X vs ATH-M40X vs HD380 vs Sony MDRV6

Solution
i can not know what you're thinking unless you write it down. just because you picked a few similar styles of headphones does not mean any of them are the best for your needs.

the m40x is worse than the m50x.
the m50x and mdrv6 are easy to drive but have horribly small soundstages which arent good for gaming. the v6 is "brighter" while the m50 is "bassier".
the hd380 requires a good amplifier to sound okay but reproduction of some sounds is "off"

if you need closed yet need good soundstage for gaming take a look at the dt770. you would want a portable amplifier for it but it would be a better choice.

i own an m50 and do like its sound, but i'm being honest about its very small soundstage. for music that isnt quite as important (which...

laukun

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015
Im sorry, i tough you would know if im choosing between this headphones. I want a good pair of headphones, closed so i can hear music at a library for example. I will use them for gaming too, but in the 1st place i want something good for music and movies.

i can not know what you're thinking unless you write it down. just because you picked a few similar styles of headphones does not mean any of them are the best for your needs.

the m40x is worse than the m50x.
the m50x and mdrv6 are easy to drive but have horribly small soundstages which arent good for gaming. the v6 is "brighter" while the m50 is "bassier".
the hd380 requires a good amplifier to sound okay but reproduction of some sounds is "off"

if you need closed yet need good soundstage for gaming take a look at the dt770. you would want a portable amplifier for it but it would be a better choice.

i own an m50 and do like its sound, but i'm being honest about its very small soundstage. for music that isnt quite as important (which is what i use mine for) but thats opinion and your may vary. the dt770 all around is the better headphone.

if it absolutely must be one of those 4 despite other better choices, i'd say the m50 would be my choice since it is easy to drive and has a good sound signature to it. its not going to be ideal at all for gaming though.

Solution

laukun

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015
Can you compare the soundstage to an Hyperx Cloud? (thats what i have right now).

Im open to new headphones, these 4 were just the ones i found to be the best. Those dt770 could be an option too.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I've personally heard all the mentioned headphones except for the sony one. If the OP wants soundstage, AKG's K551 will no doubt beat the DT770 and easily beat the M50x. It's also just as easy to drive as the M50x being at 32 ohms, 99.1 dB/mW