ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 2GB shows as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 4, 2018
Fagetti, thats some quality info man. Ty for your effort! I am already reading posts around here. This site is a gold mine for info diggers.
However, from what i think i understand, it is doable on both laptops and desktop, although, one can get more heat issues by overclocking a lap, because of the space you get by using a desktop PC case. Meaning you can put more cooling in desktop case.

Hi Robert! Ty for your input!
Yea, i tried forcing, it simply says that Std. VGA G. Adapter drivers are up to date.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
That doesn't sound at all like manually forcing a driver install. That instead sounds like you selected "update drivers" which is the automatic way.

There is nothing wrong with your hardware. It is supposed to stay shut off to save power until the Intel driver specifically hands things off to the ATI when more performance is needed. Unfortunately, without a manufacturer's utility or BIOS setting to force the ATI adapter to be primary, it's really tricky to install drivers for it because it's powered off.

Compunding the problem is Windows 7's requirement for all active adapters to use the same driver (both XP and Win10 allow you to have adapters from multiple manufacturers operating simultaneously) so the Intel has to disable itself for the ATI to work.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Laptop Tech Support 2
F Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 7
M Laptop Tech Support 4
K Laptop Tech Support 3
Okakmetito Laptop Tech Support 10
T Laptop Tech Support 3
U Laptop Tech Support 4
G Laptop Tech Support 1
EXQNGaming Laptop Tech Support 11