Solved! ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 2GB shows as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 4, 2018
Hi people.

I am not sure how this happened, but i was unistalling some stuff from my lap, turned off for the night, next morning i see that my graphic card is vanished, and replaced by VGA Graphics Adapter, it has a yellow triangle on device manager list. No unistall done was related to ATI, or graphics in any way.

I am unable to install any CCC version, ATI Technologies folder remains empty, and i tried many versions. I know that my graphics are in Legacy support for some time now, and i downloaded from ATI site:

WHQL-Win8.1-Win7-Catalyst-15.7.1-Oct30
Same thing, doesnt ask for a restart, doesnt install Catalyst Control Center, ATI Technologies folder remains empty, cant find the app icon on desktop, simply not there...

Also, i downloaded from ACER site:
VGA_AMD_8.84.7.4_W7x64_A
VGA_AMD_8.741.1.5000_W7x64_A
VGA_ATI_8.692.1.0_W7x64_A
No effect.

I am unable to install manually, as it says that Standard VGA Graphics Adapter drivers are up to date.
No trouble whatsoever with Intel HD drivers, they install and work as they should. And no problems with any other driver, actually.

Configuration is:
Acer Aspire 7745G
Intel Core CPU M460 @ 2.53GHz
6GB RAM (5.68GB usable)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit System
Intel HD Graphics
ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5650

HardwareID
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6880&SUBSYS_03671025&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6880&SUBSYS_03671025
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6880&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6880&CC_0300

Any help greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Solution
That doesn't sound at all like manually forcing a driver install. That instead sounds like you selected "update drivers" which is the automatic way.

There is nothing wrong with your hardware. It is supposed to stay shut off to save power until the Intel driver specifically hands things off to the ATI when more performance is needed. Unfortunately, without a manufacturer's utility or BIOS setting to force the ATI adapter to be primary, it's really tricky to install drivers for it because it's powered off.

Compunding the problem is Windows 7's requirement for all active adapters to use the same driver (both XP and Win10 allow you to have adapters from multiple manufacturers operating simultaneously) so the...
Mar 4, 2018
Fagetti, thats some quality info man. Ty for your effort! I am already reading posts around here. This site is a gold mine for info diggers.
However, from what i think i understand, it is doable on both laptops and desktop, although, one can get more heat issues by overclocking a lap, because of the space you get by using a desktop PC case. Meaning you can put more cooling in desktop case.

Hi Robert! Ty for your input!
Yea, i tried forcing, it simply says that Std. VGA G. Adapter drivers are up to date.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
That doesn't sound at all like manually forcing a driver install. That instead sounds like you selected "update drivers" which is the automatic way.

There is nothing wrong with your hardware. It is supposed to stay shut off to save power until the Intel driver specifically hands things off to the ATI when more performance is needed. Unfortunately, without a manufacturer's utility or BIOS setting to force the ATI adapter to be primary, it's really tricky to install drivers for it because it's powered off.

Compunding the problem is Windows 7's requirement for all active adapters to use the same driver (both XP and Win10 allow you to have adapters from multiple manufacturers operating simultaneously) so the Intel has to disable itself for the ATI to work.

Solution