ATT Phase out 3G issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2022
I got an Oppo K3 phone which I purchased outside of ATT, I use 4G LTE without any problem for 2 years.

recently I got a free phone from ATT and received a text saying my SIM card going to be deactivated due to my phone is not supported by ATT for the phase out of 3G.

However my 4G LTE is not using 3G, but ATT said that my phone has to do a software upgrade to make sure nothing use 3G, else they are going to ban the device IMEI on the network, and that's what ATT really did. ATT said that phone sold by ATT will have receive a link to download the software upgrade for the 3G phase out, but phones purchased outside ATT will not be supported by ATT for this upgrade. This morning I realized I can't make any call or have any data on my oppo phone.

My question is, why does the phase out of 3G affect my usage which I don't use all, i only use 4G. Is there a walk around to get my oppo back online in ATT?

mr_random

Great
Feb 28, 2022
3g and 4g are the same thing. they just call it 4g to make it seem better and newer than 3g but it's the same network. if you have anything that is 3g or 4g it will stop working soon.

lte and 4g are different

Mar 2, 2022
3g and 4g are the same thing. they just call it 4g to make it seem better and newer than 3g but it's the same network. if you have anything that is 3g or 4g it will stop working soon.

lte and 4g are different

thanks for telling me this. but still confused .
according to the link here, att does use band 4,5 which oppo k3 support. so I think it can still use the LTE.

anyway, at least the phone should be able to make voice call, why ATT just ban voice as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

mr_random

Great
Feb 28, 2022
thanks for telling me this. but still confused .
according to the link here, att does use band 4,5 which oppo k3 support. so I think it can still use the LTE.

anyway, at least the phone should be able to make voice call, why ATT just ban voice as well?

this has been planned for the past 3 years. all 3g and 4g towers will go away by September.

if you have lte you are ok.

lte and 4g are not the same but yes i know they call it lte 4g. 4g came first then lte then 5g

they keep changing the network to make it faster and to keep selling phones lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.