Attaching wireless headphones to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slogle

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
We bought new TV which has only one audio out port. This is labeled "digital audio out (coaxial). Does not look like coaxial port, looks like RCA port. It is colored orange. Our wireless speakers used to attach to red and white RCA Audio out ports on old TV and worked fine where one person (hard of hearing) could listen through headphones and another through TV speakers at normal volume. New TV has 3.5mm headphones jack. We have ordered connector for this port to attach RCA jacks but this will cancel out sound from TV speakers. Is there another solution?

ssddx

Glorious
coax jacks for audio use rca plugs and are colored orange. they use different plug ends than the coaxial cable used for things such as antenna and internet lines.

the 3.5mm to rca converter should work for your purposes unless your tv is set up to only allow one or the other (speakers or 3.5mm). i'd check your manual and settings as you should be able to use both.

if you wanted to use spdif coax output instead (the orange plug) you'd need a conversion box. often these are called audio extractors. i'd get one which has l/r rca out and a spdif input if you went this route. this is not to say that your tv will allow you to use both the internal speakers and the output but if 3.5mm doesnt let you then this might though there is no guarantee unless you see something written in the manual suggesting this.

ssddx

Glorious
coax jacks for audio use rca plugs and are colored orange. they use different plug ends than the coaxial cable used for things such as antenna and internet lines.

the 3.5mm to rca converter should work for your purposes unless your tv is set up to only allow one or the other (speakers or 3.5mm). i'd check your manual and settings as you should be able to use both.

if you wanted to use spdif coax output instead (the orange plug) you'd need a conversion box. often these are called audio extractors. i'd get one which has l/r rca out and a spdif input if you went this route. this is not to say that your tv will allow you to use both the internal speakers and the output but if 3.5mm doesnt let you then this might though there is no guarantee unless you see something written in the manual suggesting this.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello. If your old headphones use RCA and your tv has "coaxial" (orange port) you will need this:
Coaxial to RCA converter

Connect a single RCA cable from the orange plug in the rear of your tv into this converter, and connect your headphones in the RCA OUT. These can be found online, and sometimes in a local electronics store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Streaming Video & TVs 3
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
W Streaming Video & TVs 2
C Streaming Video & TVs 9
O Streaming Video & TVs 1
F Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
N Streaming Video & TVs 4