Attn Students! We Want to Know Your Tech Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
The survey seems rather presumptuous. For example, why does the survey pose it's questions as if all students in the world are or will be attending a 4-year university? I know plenty of students who have taken or are presently enrolled in one and two year course studies. Further, it seems to assume students will live on-campus considering the numerous references to dorm rooms. To me, the breaking point is the concentration of freshman-specific questions. Asking a freshman what tools they need doesn't actually serve the purpose of gaining knowledge about what a student may actually need. A recent graduate would have clear knowledge of what tools are needed as a student, but an incoming freshman wouldn't yet know what tools are truly necessary as they've yet to actually attend any classes.

Lastly, plenty of actual students are adult learners, attend part-time, and/or commute to and fro daily. The survey itself doesn't seem to take any of those factors or possibilities into account at all.

Maybe you should have specifically called for college freshman, as knowledge of what technological tools college freshman use clearly seems to be the primary focus of this survey.

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I want a computer that makes money for me, as well as give me a diploma. I also want one of those memory extenders they are currently using on rats!

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
As far as technology goes.....students need a decent Scientific Graphing calculator if an engineer as well as a laptop that can do 3+ hours battery life on a single charge. Other than that, not much is NEEDED

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
A laptop and possibly a graphing calculator, beyond that I don't think you need much. That being said, I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than not also have a desktop for real computing needs. Having multiple monitors and a real keyboard makes life a hell of a lot easier in a variety of situations, and the extra 3D horsepower is ALWAYS a good thing. :D

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
A more extreme example of the survey.

Question 1: Given the chance, I will take a 90% pay cut and work 90 hour weeks.
Choices: On a scale of 1-7 where 1 is "Agree" and 7 is "Strongly agree", please make your selection.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Bizarre questions. Despite this being a tech website, the idea that you use a self built desktop didn't occur to them. Oh, and I don't know how things are in the US, but a lot of students here (including me) don't live in a dorm but at home.

jwthrush

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
This is also major dependent. Graphic Design or Media majors are going to want a Mac, and it's required at the University I attend. Outside of that, I can't imagine what major would require any specific type of hardware, save for a Math or Engineering oriented major. In which case you're going to want a decent desktop that would run any type of CAD oriented program. The iPad is also becoming a commonly used classroom tool. I know my University is going to purchase iPad's that students can rent out for class. Beyond that, your average college student isn't going to need anything but a laptop with a decent batter charge. Your college gamer, like myself, is going to want a bit more though. ;)

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
It is an interesting question and does have alot enquire or inquiry whichever and how spelt. Many countries have varies educational systems and the like. Needs probably vary accordingly i assume since the question withn the topic is present. Which would be normal i would hope but who knows. Given in the fact of that to say at least, that tech is more used, on a prior interest, what would be of use of course later might have its own interest and questions of sorts. Why?, Who knows... Of course though to say that pen and paper still isnt as good, what any tech of use from the use of pen and paper still might find its interest within the ideas of any continued education or career interest. Varying of interest of course.

Does take time to learn and time spent to know what is learned, let alone what it was. Or something like that. In terms of marketing to say, not many sites in its direction like terms. Be nice, cause could of a tech reference for the interest maybe. Which probably doesnt make sense, but i get tired of the ads in an article from time to time. Probably like anyone else. Obviously last thing to think of though in terms of the question and what it would be of interest in maybe, but not best said though.

Still be American to say, does give its rewards , No? When going for something that is of interest or fitting for what might of need for now or later. Even though Americans tend to have the least amount of hours of schooling education. Needing something to work for 4 yrs is probably bad enough for most Americans let alone additionals yrs for what would be higher educations to say, let alone with "tech" think in more in terms of computing even though it varies of course. Given standard American educational systems of course.

Newer tech does come out though alot on a side note though, so 4yrs probably isnt to bad to think of too much.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Thinking of something needing to work for 4 yrs, probably better said...along with alot other, but should fit the most maybe. Hence the battery in laptops and notebooks comment as well probably. Sorry for double post.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jwthrush[/nom]This is also major dependent. Graphic Design or Media majors are going to want a Mac, and it's required at the University I attend. Outside of that, I can't imagine what major would require any specific type of hardware, save for a Math or Engineering oriented major. In which case you're going to want a decent desktop that would run any type of CAD oriented program. The iPad is also becoming a commonly used classroom tool. I know my University is going to purchase iPad's that students can rent out for class. Beyond that, your average college student isn't going to need anything but a laptop with a decent batter charge. Your college gamer, like myself, is going to want a bit more though.[/citation]

id rather be dead than use a mac, but thats just my experience from using a mac for 2 years while i had a new windows xp computer. if i had to use 7 or 8, or ... vistsa ... i may not care quite as much because hof how much i hate (year of dealing with 7 and vista, 8 LOOKS horrendous) each os, osx may be the next best option.

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
don't think you guys can do anything about it, but isn't it stupid Microsoft's offering a free Xbox 360 with new laptops? Its aimed at college students, the ones that actually NEED to pass college.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I need a convertable touch screen laptop that doesn't use horrible Intel graphics. The ATI 3200 chip in my HP tx2517cl that I've had for about 3 years is dying on me and I need a replacement soon. The only TouchSmart laptop HP is offering right now only has pathetic Intel graphics and isn't customizable.

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Personally as an Electronic and Mecanic engineer senior I had to use a desktop replacement laptop, since I ended up using a lot of simulation software like Altium Designer, Multicim, Inventor, Auto-Cad, etc. A simple netbook / ultra-portable would not have sufficed. I also needed Windows for most of my work.

Status
Not open for further replies.