Audio and Tv connectivity questions

John123321

Estimable
Dec 20, 2014
Hi,

I have a Samsung Tv with 2 HDMI inputs.

Both HDMI inputs are being used by a Sky Box and an Xbox one.

Is there a way I can use this AV receiver so music comes out of speakers on Sky and Xbox? I do not want to run Sky Box through Xbox.

Thanks

Solution

Some AVRs induce bit of input lag, not all but some. If yours does (might be hard to tell) and bothers you then go through the TV and out sound via optical.

@SkyBill40 I agree HDMI should be used if can, not only for convenience of AV but for it's bandwidth as well. The reason someone might use the TV's optical out is if there aren't any HDMI connections left on the AVR and want to use the TV's HDMI you can or if you want sound to the AVR from Free to Air TV.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Yes, that should be fine. Connect all of your video devices to the receiver and then use one HDMI cable from the receiver's output to your TV. The receiver will pass the video signal through to the TV while holding onto the audio and routing it through the speakers.

John123321

Estimable
Dec 20, 2014

Thanks for your reply, would this one be ok?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onkyo-HT-S3505-Channel-Receiver-Speaker-BLACK/dp/B007VIHTLW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=051NTWQSP0CEZC83NVAR

The xbox one and sky box both need to be plugged into the tv via hdmi I think, so how would I connect the av receiver?

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
You connect your HDMIs from the two devices to the receiver inputs; then, you use another HDMI to go from the receiver output to the TV. It's called "HDMI pass through" and it's designed to minimize the number of connections being made between your devices.

John123321

Estimable
Dec 20, 2014

Excellent, thank you

boju

Distinguished
What SkyBill40 says, i have a similar setup.

My AVR carries a PC, PS3, WIIU all HDMI outputting to the TV via the HDMI out. As mentioned it's HDMI pass through, thats whats it's for. So you'll have HDMI connections added between the AVR and TV.

The AVR will have optical inputs as well and your TV should have an optical out so whatever device you have in the extra TV HDMI slot will play through the optical (being digital) to the receiver. Its a bonus if you want to play TV movies through the speakers :)

John123321

Estimable
Dec 20, 2014
Great, thanks for your replies, would the xbox one sound be ok the way you suggest?

I have read other people who say that it is best to connect the xbox one to tv via hdmi, then optical cable from xbox one to av receiver.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
There should be no reason to re-route the sound back to the receiver from the TV. That defeats the whole purpose of using HDMI in the first place since it carries both signals. I suppose you can experiment and see, but I don't really see the point. So long as you have "game" or whatever input you assign to the Xbox on your A/V receiver, the sound should be produced by said receiver and NOT the TV.

boju

Distinguished

Some AVRs induce bit of input lag, not all but some. If yours does (might be hard to tell) and bothers you then go through the TV and out sound via optical.

@SkyBill40 I agree HDMI should be used if can, not only for convenience of AV but for it's bandwidth as well. The reason someone might use the TV's optical out is if there aren't any HDMI connections left on the AVR and want to use the TV's HDMI you can or if you want sound to the AVR from Free to Air TV.

Solution