Audio delay between onboard and sound card?

PC-Noobist

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014
I saw a few reviews on eTeknix and they were benchmarking motherboard audio. The audio on a lot of the motherboards i was looking at sound great, they then had a benchmark that i didn't understand and i "THINK" it was the delay or latency for audio (check out the review on the MSI Z97 Gaming 7) and i started thinking cause the motherboard i was looking took the longest, but the better the sound the longer it takes to process right? because it has to go through more chips and so forth? Then i thought if i got a cheaper motherboard with the same features and a sound card i may have better sound, but would the sound take longer again? Could you explain this whole benchmark/test please and answer all my questions, Thanks! :)

Solution
I think you're talking about the DPC latency test, yes? That's specifically to do with how computers handle real-time data streams, and not really to do with an audio delay in the way you're thinking. The score that the motherboard got, while not the best, is still well within acceptable limits, meaning the motherboard can cope with playing back real-time audio without drop outs or video streaming issues.

You can probably imagine that there aren't many motherboards released that fail this kind of DPC test, as it would be pretty disastrous if they did!

So in summary, you've got nothing to worry about when it comes to audio on that motherboard; there's not going to be a delay issue of any variety.

Damn_Rookie

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
I think you're talking about the DPC latency test, yes? That's specifically to do with how computers handle real-time data streams, and not really to do with an audio delay in the way you're thinking. The score that the motherboard got, while not the best, is still well within acceptable limits, meaning the motherboard can cope with playing back real-time audio without drop outs or video streaming issues.

You can probably imagine that there aren't many motherboards released that fail this kind of DPC test, as it would be pretty disastrous if they did!

So in summary, you've got nothing to worry about when it comes to audio on that motherboard; there's not going to be a delay issue of any variety.

Solution

PC-Noobist

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014

Ok cool thanks for the help thats exactly what i was talking about, i started to get a little worried cause thats my perfect motherboard and if that was a big problem then i would have had to find something else. Thanks for the help and the super quick reply :)