Audio Device Problem (toshiba)

Sep 21, 2017
So my toshiba laptops speakers work fine! but whenever i plug in an audio device such as headphones, they just dont work, they dont even show up on sound - i have windows 7

Solution
If your external speakers/headphones aren't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and follow the prompts. (Be sure you also click the "Test" button.)
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

NOTE: If they don't show in there, right click on the white background of that window and make sure both "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices" is checked.

Should you still not see the them, right click on the...
If your external speakers/headphones aren't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and follow the prompts. (Be sure you also click the "Test" button.)
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

NOTE: If they don't show in there, right click on the white background of that window and make sure both "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices" is checked.

Should you still not see the them, right click on the "Speakers", only while the headphones/speakers are plugged in, and disable them. This may resolve the issue. Be sure you test that the internal speakers work again, when you unplug the headphones/speakers.

Solution
Apr 18, 2018
Hi...
Our problem is: "NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE INSTALLED"
So, in control panel - sound - there are no devices to select ... it just says" No Audio Devices Installed" ...
*Show Disabled and Show Disconnected devices Are both Ticked..

So, we can't get past step 3... :-( ... Thanks for trying, Any other ideas ?

Cheers,
Peter
[don't post your email address on the forum]

PS. On another note, I'm wondering if the sound card has cooked it's goose, which would likely stop any communication with the mother board and/or the bios... As such, if the system does not know about the sound card, all the friggin around with software and drivers will be pointless...

***Does anyone know how to find out if the sound card is cooked ???

Please don't "jump in" on an existing thread with a problem of your own, no matter how similar it may be.

Start a new thread of your own if you want help.

Thank you.