Question Audio from monitor to speakers

Mar 16, 2019
Hi guys,

I have a set up as XBOX One S connected to a monitor via HDMI. The monitor has in built pc speakers which are rubbish so I bought some external speakers with USB power (which I was thinking the xbox can supply the power) and a 3.5mm jack. However when I plug the 3.5mm into the monitor, nothing happens but speakers power on. Is there a way to get sound though speakers?

I did notice that on the back of my monitor which is an Acer RT240Y, it says Audio In.

I think I may have thought about this all wrong.

Thanks, Jake

Mar 16, 2019
Hi guys,

I have a set up as XBOX One S connected to a monitor via HDMI. The monitor has in built pc speakers which are rubbish so I bought some external speakers with USB power (which I was thinking the xbox can supply the power) and a 3.5mm jack. However when I plug the 3.5mm into the monitor, nothing happens but speakers power on. Is there a way to get sound though speakers?

I did notice that on the back of my monitor which is an Acer RT240Y, it says Audio In.

Thanks, Jake

Hi,
You can try this https://support.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-one/console/connect-sound-system
If your speakers don't have an optical audio port, then you can just buy a dongle.
Hope it helps.

Reactions: Veyronjake
Hi guys,

Thanks, Jake

Audio In is that, it's an input not an output. The XBOX should have a speaker out port though, use that, but you will likely need to get different speakers. Speakers powered from USB would not be very good at all. I suggest a soundbar for the XBOX, the speakers that would have optical in are either lower quality or expensive for the most part. A $50 soundbar should be good for your use and be much better than the monitor speakers. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/1122-best-cheap-soundbars.html