Audio from TV

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I just bought a new HDTV that has an optical audio out connection. I thought I could go from the TV with that cable to the input on my receiver(non-HDMI) and get at least stereo from my receiver via the TV but get nothing other than the sound from the TV speakers. Is something wrong with the TV or receiver?

Solution
should be able to work.

You should have;

I 7C OPTICAL IN for OPTICAL
INPUT jacks (2) to (4)
Choices:
(2) MD/CD-R, CD, VCR 2/DVR, VCR 1,
D-TV/CBL, DVD
(3) MD/CD-R, CD, VCR 2/DVR, VCR 1,
D-TV/CBL, DVD
(4) MD/CD-R, CD, VCR 2/DVR, VCR 1,
D-TV/CBL, DVD
I 7D COAXIAL IN for COAXIAL
INPUT jack (5)
(5) MD/CD-R, CD, V-AUX, VCR 2/
Choices:
DVR, VCR 1, D-TV/CBL, DVD
Notes
• You cannot select an item more than once for the same type of
jack.
• When you connect a component to both the COAXIAL and
OPTICAL jacks, priority is given to the input signals from the
COAXIAL jack.

Connect the optical in to one of the inputs that is free of any coaxial or rca plugs and chose the input name on the remote.

Also with TVs you can use the rca plugs to...

jnkweaver

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
After that you usually go into the audio setup in the tv and select either the speakers or the cable out. Since that is usually plugged into a soundbar and not a stereo receiver it may not registered as being plugged in.

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
The receiver is a 12 year old Yamaha HTR-5560 with no HDMI connections. The TV's audio settings only have Auto on/off, different sound modes, treble, bass, balance and that's about it other than what LG calls "Clear Voice", which I have off. I went through all the inputs on the receiver and still nothing through it.

BTW-the TV is an LG 32LN5300.

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Well, I've been fighting the urge to get an updated receiver and may have to do that. The old Yamaha has been a superb receiver for a long time. I've been looking at their RX-V673 and it seems to have all and more that I need. I love their sound fields. I don't care about all the Android, iphone, ipod, etc connections and features but I guess that just comes with the new technology.

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
If I decide to get this new receiver and it does have inputs for component video, when I connect say, a DVD player with component out to the receivers input, do I have to also go from the receiver out with another one of those cables to the TV or will the HDMI out from the receiver to TV carry both the audio and video?

jnkweaver

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Component (analog) is not the same as the optical audio (digital). Are you sure you just don't want a soundbar?

Most new receivers have the optical in but they play on the DVD or CD switch on the receiver.

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I thought perhaps the HDMI cable would "upconvert" the signal and play it since it carries both audio and video. So, in this case, I'd have to still connect a component cable from the receiver to the TV from what I read.

No, I'm not looking for a sound bar I just thought I could hear the TV if I wanted to, audio from the TV via the receiver. This AV receiver I currently have has both optical and coax inputs.

boju

Distinguished
should be able to work.

You should have;

I 7C OPTICAL IN for OPTICAL
INPUT jacks (2) to (4)
Choices:
(2) MD/CD-R, CD, VCR 2/DVR, VCR 1,
D-TV/CBL, DVD
(3) MD/CD-R, CD, VCR 2/DVR, VCR 1,
D-TV/CBL, DVD
(4) MD/CD-R, CD, VCR 2/DVR, VCR 1,
D-TV/CBL, DVD
I 7D COAXIAL IN for COAXIAL
INPUT jack (5)
(5) MD/CD-R, CD, V-AUX, VCR 2/
Choices:
DVR, VCR 1, D-TV/CBL, DVD
Notes
• You cannot select an item more than once for the same type of
jack.
• When you connect a component to both the COAXIAL and
OPTICAL jacks, priority is given to the input signals from the
COAXIAL jack.

Connect the optical in to one of the inputs that is free of any coaxial or rca plugs and chose the input name on the remote.

Also with TVs you can use the rca plugs to the tv inputs (ie nintendo wii) and out source the sound via optical. i do this and works great. Anything using hdmi is connected to receiver and the receiver hdmi out connected to tv. Could connect wii to receiver but would need yellow rca plug tp carry video, easier just going tv directly in this case since sound works just fine from a modern HD TV abling to carry sound from rca to optical out.

Solution

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I'll look this over and try again. Thanks for your time in deciphering it all. I have a pair of Klipsch Heresy's as my main channel speakers, a Polk Audio CS400i as center channel speaker, a Polk Audio 10 inch woofer and two Polk Audio rear L-R surround speakers. It sounds great with older DVD's, especially movies like Saving Private Ryan with DTS. I just bought a Blue Ray player a few days ago and still playing/experimenting with that one.

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I just briefly went back over the owner's manual that came with the TV and it shows and explains that you should be able to connect an optical digital cable from the Digital Out on the TV to an audio system. This is what's not working according to those instructions.

However, it shows pictorially speakers, not a receiver.

boju

Distinguished
the bluray player should work fine also connected to tv. I use hdmi to tv from my foxtel box (pay tv) and use digital optical out to receiver if i want to use the speakers. Good for footy grand final =D 5.1 channel should work also.

boju

Distinguished

It means the same, speakers or receiver. Its the receiver end, have you checked the optical input? There will be a few in sections sharing other rca plugs in categories corresponding to the labeled buttons on your remote. Optical must be the only one connected to one of these shared categories.

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I have Comcast and recently got a new HD set top box that I've used a HDMI cable to go directly to the TV since the receiver has no HDMI connections and I wouldn't want to have to have the receiver on to watch standard broadcasts anyway. I do have that optical cable from the TV to the receiver but somethings amuck since I have no sound when selecting the various inputs on the receiver. Just the sound from the TV. I'll look over those connections again.

boju

Distinguished
could be a setting in the tv but usually the optical out should be automatic.

with the receiver, look at one of the optical inputs and it's label. Like dvd or dtv etc. Now look at the rca side and look at their labels. Choose an optical input that no other rca or coax device is using the same label.

Optical wont work if theres anything else connected to the same circuit. Rca/coax will be priority.

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Well, do I evermore feel foolish. One thing's certain and two things are sure. I will never have an entertainment center with a host of audio and video devices including a TV sitting on it with a lot of spaghetti connections you can't get to easily.

I tried to trace the digital out optical cable from the back of the TV to the receiver and finally after having to use a small Surefire flashlight, pivoting mirror and trying to get one arm behind the entertainment center, was able to discover I had hooked in to the receiver's only digital OUT, not one of the inputs. After making that correction, voila, 6 channel sound from the TV via the receiver.:) What a pain to try and find that skinny blue cable amass a host of other cables.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me figure what was wrong or what I did wrong.