Audio playing through headphones and speakers

dlh1231

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
I'm having a sound issue with my laptop that I can't figure out how to fix. When I plug in my headphones, instead of playing audio just through the headphones it plays through my speakers as well. The headphones work perfectly on other devices, so they're not the problem. I also tried a different pair of headphones on my laptop and the same thing happened.

I've been searching around for a solution to this problem and the only thing I can find is to go into Realtek HD Audio Manager, but that's not working for me. I can't find anything to switch the audio settings to play through the headphones. Also, the headphones aren't showing up when I go into Sound on the control panel. But I am getting sound through my headphones so I know the audio jack is working. Does anyone here have an idea for how to fix this?

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad and I'm using Windows 7.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to uninstall/reinstall the Sound card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Sound card driver.
- Once done, you can reboot the laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically or you can download and install the latest sound driver as well from Lenovo's support site.
- After the driver has been installed do make sure to set the default Playback device.
- Right click on the speaker icon and select Playback Devices. If you see the headphone listed, right click on it and select Set Defaults then click Apply and OK.
- Do test the sound again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

dlh1231

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I uninstalled/reinstalled the sound card driver and I'm unsure what to do next. How do I set the default playback device? Is that in Realtek HD Audio Manager? I'm unable to click on "Set Default Device". And I can't find a speaker icon I can right click on. And headphones are still not an option.

Dickr947

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
Try the most obvious. My new HP Spectre has a VERY stiff socket for the audio plug. It looks like it is in, but it is not quite fully seated. I pushed really hard, it seated properly, and the internal speakers cut out like they should. Success!

dlh1231

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016

No, that is not the problem lol. I wouldn't have had to come here if that was the case. How did you even find this? I made this post well over a year ago.

I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue I can fix without sending it to get repaired. I'd rather just get a new laptop at some point. This one is over 5 years old.