Question Audio plays through Headphones, but doesn't play through Speakers

If your system speakers/external speakers/headphones aren't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
  2. Click on "Sound".
  3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
  4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
  5. Now click the "Configure" button and follow the prompts. (Be sure you also click the "Test" button.)
  6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
  7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
  8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

Should it still not work, and you are referring to the laptop's speakers, (not external ones) then you need to make sure they haven't been muted (it happens), and if not, then have them looked at for possible replacement.

Apr 18, 2019
I mean the portable speakers. I did what you said but it still does not sound.

I'm pretty sure that the internal sound card is fine because I can hear the audio from the headphones but not from the speakers, so I think this is a driver problem or something else related to the software.

By the way, I've done everything the Internet says about the drivers; update, uninstall, use the default driver for Windows, install Realtek but nothing has worked.

I need help, this is driving me crazy.

So I am going to assume here that you mean 'external' speakers that you are attaching to the laptop (as those would be portable) rather than the speakers that are part of the laptop (which would not be portable).

If that is the case, have you tried them on another device? The problem may be the speakers themselves. It is also possible that the plug on the speakers and the plug on the headset are not the same. Have you compared them?

Now if you are instead actually referring to the laptop's speakers (not portable external ones) then i refer back to what I said before, that they may have just gone bad.

I mean the portable speakers. I did what you said but it still does not sound.

I'm pretty sure that the internal sound card is fine because I can hear the audio from the headphones but not from the speakers, so I think this is a driver problem or something else related to the software.

By the way, I've done everything the Internet says about the drivers; update, uninstall, use the default driver for Windows, install Realtek but nothing has worked.

I need help, this is driving me crazy.

You don't have headphones and speakers connected at the same time right? Did you try these speakers with another system? Really if headphones work in the jack, speakers should also work, assuming the speaker and cable are good. If these are powered speakers, you have them plugged into power correct?