Audio problem with stereo extener cable with 3.5mm TRS connectors.

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I've connected an extender audio cable to connect audio output for my PC (green 3.5mm jack on rear of motherboard) to speakers which are about 2.5 meters away. This is a typical cable 2 meters long with 3.5mm TRS male connector on one end and female on the other.

The problem is that when I connect the cable it seems to work well, but after a few hours or days the audio can only be heard on one of the speakers or only one side of headphones.
When I move the cable I can get it to be heard correctly, but it soon fails again.

I changed the cable for a new one (probably it was the same model/manufacturer) and at first it worked well, but then it produced the same error.

I changed it again for another one, this time a longer one (about 4 meters) and it seems to be working well now.

I'd like to know why this happens, perhaps the internal impedance of the faulty cables wasn't the right one.

I'd welcome any explanation as to why this happens. I have some knowledge of electronics and audio so I think I'll understand some technical answer.

It sounds like the cable was under physical strain (like being stretched too tight or kinked at some point and after a while this caused a wire to break inside losing a channel. The longer cable may be better quality or you ran it it such a way that that it is not strained. No impedance issues.