Audio trouble with laptop

Rockonbry21

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
Alright ill make it simple...... Laptop(audio visuals) go to hmdi cord... hdmi cord to tv...now the troubling question....Sound to amplifier/speakers that have RCA connection in the back i need RCA connection from tv to give sound to my amplifier/speakers... Solutions? i tried going to menu on tv to see if i can play with anything no dice there? check back of amplifier to see if a cord was placed wrong...nothing? any ideas? hardware i might need?

Solution
G
Check that the audio settings on the laptop are not set for the HDMI connection. Disable if necessary and change the default audio to whatever connection you have the cable to the amp plugged into. (3.5mm speaker jack?)

mreed018

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
I had almost the same problem with one of my televisions which only had optical out. Some do not have RCA audio out. Does yours? Because it sounds like you have the wires in place, so I am unclear.

If not, the cheapest solution would be to get a headphone to RCA adapter which would be annoying to have 2 cables in the laptop, but it will work. Solution 2 is to get an HDMI receiver.

If the TV does have audio out, Ill need a little more info like does the TV its self play the audio from the laptop? And what is the model of TV?

G

Check that the audio settings on the laptop are not set for the HDMI connection. Disable if necessary and change the default audio to whatever connection you have the cable to the amp plugged into. (3.5mm speaker jack?)

Solution

adamwinn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When using digital coax (RCA) input on the receiver, you will likely have to assign the receiver input with the digital input.

EG: Set the receiver to 'Video 1' or 'TV', and then find the setting that allows 'Coax Digital' to be assigned to 'Video 1' or 'TV'