Audioengine S8 Subwoofer to PC to Audioengine 5A+ Speakers Connections

Brian_32

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015
I have audioengine 5a+ speakers. I have them set up to my computer and they were easy to set up and sound great. I am not sure however where and how to set up my audioengine subwoofer to make it also play in sync with my speakers. What cables should i use? What outputs and inputs are involved? (both on the PC and speakers subwoofers)

Solution
You have two options. Which you use will depend on if you want to use the PC for volume control or the remote on the A5+.
For PC volume control you would connect the sub to the PC sub out with a cable that has a stereo mini plug at the PC end and 2 RCA plugs at the sub end. You would only use one of these (the other is for center channel). Plug the RCA into either line level input. Set the PC to 2.1. This will reduce the range of bass that the A5+ will receive and allow them to play louder.
For A5+ remote volume control connect the sub to the line level outs on the back of the A5+ with standard RCA audio cables. Set the PC to 2.0.
You have two options. Which you use will depend on if you want to use the PC for volume control or the remote on the A5+.
For PC volume control you would connect the sub to the PC sub out with a cable that has a stereo mini plug at the PC end and 2 RCA plugs at the sub end. You would only use one of these (the other is for center channel). Plug the RCA into either line level input. Set the PC to 2.1. This will reduce the range of bass that the A5+ will receive and allow them to play louder.
For A5+ remote volume control connect the sub to the line level outs on the back of the A5+ with standard RCA audio cables. Set the PC to 2.0.

Solution

shiitaki

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

The best way is to connect the subwoofer to the audio out on the primary A5 speaker. The A5s work great full range. You can use the volume on the speaker or remote, and then you can leave the computer volume full for less noise, besides many websites that use Flash will maximize the Windows volume anyway. One of the biggest Microsoft screw ups.

I actually have a similar setup though I used a B&W sub. Sound incredible, be sure to set the phase switch correctly and fine tune the crossover point. 50HZ is where I have set mine and works well.

Hope you don't live in an apartment.