Audiophiles, I need advice on replacing a failing sound card

Nycetera

Estimable
May 28, 2014
Alright so really quick i'm currently running an Asus DGX. The amp started failing and creating loud static and crackling jumbled signals. It was fine on the speaker setting (headphone amp off) but now that's also creating a light beep and hiss in the right channel. Front panel is working fine but volume is much lower and I feel like the sound might not be on par with the rear jack.

So, my question. Should I buy another sound card or will two of the options I already own be on par with audio quality. Those two options being the on board audio for my ASUS PRIME Z270-A, and the 2013 Astro Mixamp Pro. I run a pair of seinhessier hd600's, and M-Audio BX5a's. I know the DGX doesn't have the greatest DAC but I definitely don't want to downgrade my audio quality.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Solution
D
What you've got now ( motherboard ) is probably on par with a mid range sound card. What kind of budget do you have? Those HD 600s will scale nicely with better equipment.
D

Deleted member 217926

What you've got now ( motherboard ) is probably on par with a mid range sound card. What kind of budget do you have? Those HD 600s will scale nicely with better equipment.

Solution

Nycetera

Estimable
May 28, 2014

Thanks for the reply,
I'm moving in a few months so I definitely can't go too crazy but I think $100 or so would be fine. Really glad my mobo can at least keep up till I upgrade. Any possible upgrades within that price range?

Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 217926

With $100? I'd think real hard about spending that $100 on an O2 or Schiit Magni 3. Then in a few months when you have another $100 add an ODAC or Modi 2. My 600s sound absolutely amazing with a Mayflower O2/ODAC Rev. B.

Nycetera

Estimable
May 28, 2014

I'll look into these, I've been putting up with cheap sound card quality for a while maybe i'll deal with on board as I save for the mayflower combo, seems like its worth it. Thanks again for your help!