Question Auto SRP prob

Mar 25, 2019
W10 does not create automatic system restore points. It will perform manual point creations. I checked the task scheduler and found it was turned on and it is turning the PC off every night as scheduled. Help please.

The system usually only makes them at significant points, and more and more it tends to make them only when there is a Windows update of some sort.

There are a few other ways to set it to automatically create restore points, but some are better not used unless you really know what you are doing.

You can find a few ways to set it up here.. https://www.howtogeek.com/278388/how-to-make-windows-automatically-create-a-system-restore-point-at-startup/

I would, however, suggest not using the first option mentioned (editing the registry) because you can do way more damage there than good.

Mar 25, 2019
Tnx, the web page https://www.howtogeek.com/278388/how-to-make-windows-automatically-create-a-system-restore-point-at-startup/ I found to be the best and most complete description on creating a auto SRP's. I used the suggested hack. A check for the presence of SRP's for two consecutive days. It appears that the PC still did not show any auto SRP's created. The list showed a single manual SRP made by me 5 days before the suggested procedure. Additionally the PC had not received any updates, including third party updates. Before the second days attempt, I increased the amount of memory space for the Task Scheduler to use. What's a solution to the this auto SRP creation failure? Tnx

Mar 25, 2019
The setup procedure seemed to go well. I encountered no difficult with it. You theorize that something maybe wrong with the system. I presume that you mean Windows 10 home addition or the registry hack. Could the downloaded hack is not compatible with the W10 home edition. If so, should I try making a hack manually. Are you suggesting that it's could be a hardware problem or a conflict with an app like Backup Maker that also runs at start up. Does each task require a shortcut in the startup folder. Could it be that the task is worded to say to begin at a manual start up, but needs to be able to begin after being in sleep mode? I have another W10 laptop, and now plan on testing the procedure on it. Tnx

It could easily be anything extra installed or changes made. Since the system should normally do the restore points regularly. In my case, and none were done by me intentionally, just done by the system, there are 9 restore points in the last 3 weeks. So if yours is doing so less often (showing less when you go into system restore and also checking the show more restore points box) then something is inhibiting it. I have made no 'alterations' to make it do them that often, but I also don't have any programs or items installed to try and mess with it either.

To be honest, more restore points than that would be overkill. I mean that is 3 a week. Having them done every day or every time the system is started would be way to much.

Mar 25, 2019
Follow up to the system restore and task scheduler issue.

Titan. The results included the "show more points". Only a few manual backup existed. Conventional wisdom from forums, etc seem to agree that the default number of auto SRP's is 7 days.
I agree that daily SRP is excessive, three a week is OK. I was getting 0 SRP's for at least 45 days. I concluded that daily SRP's might be possible. The howtogeek.com web page was, was found to be a good source. but it did not solve the problem. I ran their procedure on my other laptop and got the same results. In the process I encounter a discrepancy that might be the cause of the failure. The first attempt, W10 never asked for a user account. Contradicting the Geek website. W10 appeared to not need it. Both PC's have one account, my admin account. The account access on the Microsoft website is the same.
Other conventional wisdom claims that access to Microsoft and W10 needed only those two accounts. On the second try the scheduler requested and rejected my admin password.
I have had experiences when logging either accounts W10 would sometimes fail. I had concluded (guess) that conventional wisdom was not true. and that other unknown passwords existed.
Finally, another online search, I got a posting that confirmed my suspicion. It had instructions on find it. For others that maybe reading this and having task scheduler problems, below is the procedure I found.

1. First go to the search bar and type cmd
  2. When the command window appears type whoami at the prompt
  3. Press enter
  4. A different command window will appear, look at /the last line and you will find the hidden account password.
  5. Don't be surprised that it appears to be goofy. In my case it was an abbreviation of my e-mail address. It's like gift wrapping a key to your home and presenting it to the computer hackers.
In my case the above was not enough to correct the problem. Something else is wrong. Best of luck.

Perhaps something else you have installed is blocking the restore point creation. I find it rather odd that they aren't being created when there are updates or changes to the system. That is the whole purpose of the program. To create a restore point prior to any change that could seriously effect the system through the installation or update of something.

ASK THE COMMUNITY