Autocorrect Mistake Accidentally Sends School Shooting Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
And this is one of the many reasons I don't use autocorrect. I know people get decent use out of it when you need to throw out a quick message, but I'll just take the time to make sure it's right on my own.

unther

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I'm glad the incident only went this far, it could have been far worse. My blackberry asks before making any changes to messages.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]GenericUser[/nom]And this is one of the many reasons I don't use autocorrect. I know people get decent use out of it when you need to throw out a quick message, but I'll just take the time to make sure it's right on my own.[/citation]
I use autocorrect, and then take a little time to make sure it's correct anyway. Much faster that way, and you don't send awkward messages. Autocorrect errors are glaringly obvious when you do a quick read of your message. Certainly more so than minor typos.

Related to the article, I'm guessing that the person who sent the text was using Android and a non-stock keyboard. I use SwiftKey, and it does autocorrect totally differently than the stock keyboard.

G

My HTC Thunderbolt autocorrects "gunna" to "gunman". Maybe it's a Sense thing?

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Darn, I was going to go to west hall to take some shots that day, but then there were so many police around... I thought shooting some people with my new smartphone's camera was gunman be so awesome too...

sockso

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I'm not sure what makes me cringe more: the thought of somebody typing "gunna," or the thought of a actual gunman.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]kittle[/nom]learn2type so you dont need to use auto-correct...[/citation]

Autocorrect isn't just about fixing possible errors in messages, it is about speeding up texting by finishing a word or phrase before you finish typing it. I don't use autocorrect on my Android, but I know some people who do use it and although I can type pretty fast, they can do it faster because of autocorrect.

Sure, you could argue that so what it's only a few second speed up at best, but if you need to text a lot or you just want to text a lot (I have free texting, so I could, but I don't do it much) then the value of autocorrect can show.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Lufia[/nom]My HTC Thunderbolt autocorrects "gunna" to "gunman". Maybe it's a Sense thing?[/citation]
I can confirm this with my HTC Desire too. It's most likely an HTC.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Here's my idea.

Change the messaging system so that when the message gets sent the original and the corrected version are sent. The person receiving the message gets the corrected one by default, but can touch an icon which will highlight and show the original word typed along with the corrected word.

For casual mistakes the receiver can probably figure out what the person actually said by viewing the original, and saves them from having to send another text back asking what they meant. And, of course, it would eliminate confusion in cases like this.

Hear that Apple? There's something you can patent.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I use autocorrect, and then take a little time to make sure it's correct anyway. Much faster that way, and you don't send awkward messages. Autocorrect errors are glaringly obvious when you do a quick read of your message. Certainly more so than minor typos.Related to the article, I'm guessing that the person who sent the text was using Android and a non-stock keyboard. I use SwiftKey, and it does autocorrect totally differently than the stock keyboard.[/citation]

when was the last time something important was sent via a text? im sure no one will care if you miss type dont and dont put the the ' in it... i sure as hell dont when i type normally, though that has more to do with my pinky fingers than any thing else. i also dont use shift... only time people complain is the kind of people who disregard a whole comment because of 1 typing mistake, and god knows i would get a sanction here if i voiced my opinion on them. only time shift is ever used by me is when i am TRYING to drive a point home and some people may need to have the key word pointed out... sense the way i talk cant be articulated through ip as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.