Automatic Knitting Powered by the Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckinbottoms

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Looking at the youtube video makes it painfully obvious that it isn't an ideal design. The knitting portion needs to be inside. any rain would make the product worthless, not to mention a strong wind blowing the yarn tube into the blades and... well... start over.

It just needs an extension on the crank so the knitting can be done inside. And of course as the article points out, it can really only do one thing at the moment.

TomD_1

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Yes, lets save the planet by knitting long tubes of yarn! a jumper will be just what I need when earth reaches a million degrees :p

lilwillis

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]But can it knit something in the pattern of the Crysis logo?[/citation]
I'd rather see someone brand a Crysis logo to your face while you die from the pain.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Circular knitters are incredibly complex machines. I've not watched the video yet (blocked at work), but unless it is running at a very slow pace, they are occasionally subject to interruptions including yarn, needle and/or sinker breaks.
Even so, that pair of socks you're wearing may have been knit on a machine first put in service before 1900. Typical needle counts for hosiery include 60, 84, 132, and 176; stockings may be knit on a machine with over 300 needles.

Fox Montage

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]But can it knit something in the pattern of the Crysis logo?[/citation]

Sorry, I laughed at this. -(-1)

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
What's wrong with wind turbine's generating electrcity and then directly using that power to operate a more sophisticated machine that knits gloves or socks or something more useful.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I personally hate knitted products I won't even wear a sweater but this is pretty cool. I watched a couple of the other videos and it looks like knitting machines have been around for a long long long long time but to be able to automate it and not use any electricity(not too sure if it belongs on toms hardware though).

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Power loom, a mechanized loom powered by a drive shaft, was designed in 1784 by Edmund Cartwright and first built in 1785.

Fry reinvented the wheel in the year 3000.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]s4fun[/nom]What's wrong with wind turbine's generating electrcity and then directly using that power to operate a more sophisticated machine that knits gloves or socks or something more useful.[/citation]

Because you're converting mechanical energy to electricity and then back to mechanical. You always lose energy when you convert forms of energy. (you don't really lose anything, but it gets dissipated in other forms, so your output suffers loss).

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]s4fun[/nom]What's wrong with wind turbine's generating electrcity and then directly using that power to operate a more sophisticated machine that knits gloves or socks or something more useful.[/citation]

Ideally this would help adapt current electric machines, and would make it universally useful, however more energy is lost due to the conversions back and force, and loss to thermal when it becomes electric and such. But at that point there isn't a huge difference.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Last time I checked, Windmills were invented for doing just this. What new "Automatic" technology will they release next? Will it be a waterwheel that grinds grain?

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
i dont under stand why not make it use electrisity then got low tec electonics do a hole produkt instead if a smal part in a wind´mill

Status
Not open for further replies.