Aux and line level compatibility

Napalmhardcore

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hi. Strictly speaking this isn't about home audio, but I didn't want to use the cars/beyond the keyboard section as my question is more closely related to the kind of questions normally asked here.

I have a Fiio X1 ordered and on its way. My current car stereo is not a CD player, neither does it have an aux in port. I would like to buy a car stereo. I know many car stereos nowadays have aux in ports, but when I tried entering the search "car stereo" "line in" into both Amazon and Google I didn't get any helpful results.

The Fiio X1 is capable of outputting either a headphone level signal or a line level signal. My intention was to use the line out signal from the X1 to go to the car stereo.

Being my search for car stereos with line in was unsuccessful I assume line in ports are not commonly found on car stereos. This has left me wondering, a) will the aux in ports commonly found on car stereos accept line level signals and b) if not, will I be sacrificing sound quality by not using a line level signal?

If someone could shine some light on this subject for me I would be grateful :)

Solution
Yes, the aux input ports on car stereos are expecting line level signals. Crutchfield.com has a large selection of car stereos to compare. Aux inputs can either be front or rear connections.

Napalmhardcore

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Thank you. Very much appreciated :)