Auxilary in merger?

saleman89

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Ok, here is my problem:
I have a laptop (acer aspire 4520 running 32 bit Vista with stock soundcard), a microphone with an aux male end, and some speakers with an aux in port. I need to have a way to plug both the laptop (using an aux cord) and the mic into the speakers simultaneously. Is there a device i can get that can do this? I have tried plugging the mic into the line in port on the computer, but this creates a delay and will not allow whatever noise is going through the mic to be as loud as music playing on the computer or if i just plug the mic into the speaker, regardless of my various volume adjusting.
Also, i have heard that using an audio splitter in reverse may damage my soundcard and/or speakers, so if such is true, id rather not try that. Thank you everyone for any help.

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
I'm confused about what you are trying to accomplish ... maybe start with what you objective is?

or alternately if i understand what you are trying to get done correctly (and I might not) you are looking for a DAW perhaps?

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 that works awesomely for recording / and playback

amazon's price is higher since i got mine however (i think it was $115~ish when i got mine (it was a gift from my wife.)..

but whatever

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1370228857&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=focusrite+scarlett+2i2

saleman89

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Sorry, I am trying to be able to hear the mic through the speakers as well as music I play through the laptop. I am starting to think: Should I just get a mixing board?

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
I think a small mixer might be your only option. You can buy (or make) passive (unpowered) mixers, but since you're using a mic, you might have a hard time getting it loud enough.
At one point I was looking at small format mixers with USB connectivity, the cheapest I found was a Behringer model for about $50. If you don't need to connect via USB you might be able to find something for even less.