Mike Hackett

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
Hello. On a recently purchased HP Omen (open box) i went for a free trial with avast with clean up, having fixed about 200 registry errors which in itself baffled me on a new system, avast is suggesting i sleep spybot as it is supposedly slowing my system severely. as spybot was added by me for a bit of extra safety I am dubious about disabling it, any suggestions?

Solution
- Avoid running two different active anti-malware programs at the same time. This can cause problems and almost always causes system performance loss if both programs are configured to actively scan and monitor. Recommend removing either AVAST or Spybot. AVAST should be sufficient.

- Registry cleaners are bad. They cause more problems then they solve. Registry cleaning does nothing as far as performance goes.

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
- Avoid running two different active anti-malware programs at the same time. This can cause problems and almost always causes system performance loss if both programs are configured to actively scan and monitor. Recommend removing either AVAST or Spybot. AVAST should be sufficient.

- Registry cleaners are bad. They cause more problems then they solve. Registry cleaning does nothing as far as performance goes.

Solution

antishill

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Avast is such a nuisance. It is too pushy and tries too hard to take over everything that is has no business of interfering with. I would uninstall Avast and get some other anti-viruse option.

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
A lot of larger anti-malware suites go beyond scanning and active monitoring. If you want a really simple solution, uninstall both AVAST and Spybot and just run Windows Defender or MSE. Free and includes active monitoring.